Is my kitten healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLikesThings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten seems very underweight. I can feel his bones... hes breathing normally. He did eat earlier today but won’t eat anymore. I’m not sure if he's full or not. I just started giving him kitten wet food because he was eating dry kibble and having normal poop. I keep trying to feed him but he's just smelling it like as if he’s interested but doesn’t take it after that maybe a lick but that’s it. He doesn’t seem as active as he used to be. He’s 6-8 weeks old according to the people that I got him from but I feel like they lied. He was eating dry kibble the moment I got him back to the house but he seemed like he wouldn’t grow in weight. So I felt like he may have been 5 weeks when I got him or somewhere there... he’s not taking kitten formula. He’s just always resting with his eyes open which is usually when he’s active I assume. So he’s just inactive when he should be playing around with other kittens. He was eating Rachel Rays cat food but I soon realized that’s meant for adult cats not kittens. So I do have IAMS kitten wet food and the royal canin wet food for newborn babies and mom cat. Also he does seem to have had a reaction to the sudden change from the kibble to wet food but it started settling down but the color was off.
The first day of feeding him just IAMS wet kitten food, he had yellowish orangey diarrhea with blood. The second time he went to the bathroom, he had more solid poop but coloring was off to me. But yea my main concern is that hes very inactive and very underweight to where I could feel his shoulder blades.
I even tried feeding him purina kitten focus food but he didn’t take it so I stuck to the other two wet foods

the last picture is the first time he switched from kibble to wet food. I know I had to slowly change it but it was adult cat kibble so I think I had no choice and also he did go crazy for the wet food so yea...

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EricLikesThings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the graphic pictures but think the kitten lady said that it’s weird but it’s the beat indicator of health

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some info that would probably be helpful for people to know:

1. How much does he weigh?
2. Is 6-8 weeks his current (estimated) age?
3. How much food would you estimate he eats in one day?
4. Do you have other kittens/cats around?
5. Has he been to the vet for any type of checkup or vaccination?

A sudden change in food can definitely cause some stomach and poop trouble as they adjust so as long as it’s improving and not staying the same or getting worse I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

EricLikesThings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know most of those he hasn’t been to the vet and theres two other kittens but they’re not going through the same thing. He is definitely underweight because now he's lifeless essentially

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know most of those he hasn’t been to the vet and theres two other kittens but they’re not going through the same thing. He is definitely underweight because now he's lifeless essentially

If he is acting "lifeless" then please take him to a vet. No kitten should be lethargic or grossly underweight.

EricLikesThings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he is acting "lifeless" then please take him to a vet. No kitten should be lethargic or grossly underweight.
I can’t I don’t even have the money to do so. I called the vet and they told me it could range from 1000-2000 dollars. I don’t even have half of that to sustain my bills and everything since this pandemic started..

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="EricLikesThings, post: 5166031, member: 10048651"n
I can’t I don’t even have the money to do so. I called the vet and they told me it could range from 1000-2000 dollars. I don’t even have half of that to sustain my bills and everything since this pandemic started..
[/QUOTE]

1000 to 2000 dollars to take a look at him?! Where in the world do you live where a vet would charge you that price for an examing a little kitten?

EricLikesThings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet in glendora and they told me it was that much for emergency costs or whatever they were talking about so I was like what even is the point of a vet if all they care about is money!!! This world is just disgusting... you essentially have to pay to live... hospitals included cause people are dying due to Covid-19 and you’re gonna still pay for those bills...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet in glendora and they told me it was that much for emergency costs or whatever they were talking about so I was like what even is the point of a vet if all they care about is money!!! This world is just disgusting... you essentially have to pay to live... hospitals included cause people are dying due to Covid-19 and you’re gonna still pay for those bills...

Does the kitten need an emergency vet visit-can she not just go to a regular vet? Vet practices are considered an essential business so even if they are not fully open you should still be able to do a curbside visit. Yes, the world is indeed a disgusting place when it comes to people just trying to get by.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if the kitten is eating, drinking, and breathing normally, then I don't think he needs an emergency vet visit. Even if he is only five weeks old he should be eating kitten food not formula. Have you tried giving him some warmed up lactose-free whole milk?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is acting lifeless you can try rubbing some Kari syrup or honey on his gums to perk him up a little. It may make him feel better enough to eat more. Kittens require a bit different diet than adults but whatever you can get into a grossly underweight kitten will help. Weighing him can give you something to go on. Keep track if possible. Is he drinking? Dehydration can cause lethargy. He must get enough fluids. When you got him you think he was five weeks maybe? That’s really young to be away from the mother. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food might help him to gain some weight but it should not be the only food over a long period. Maybe mix some with kitten food or whatever you can give him. If he won’t drink water, you can try some goats milk. If you cannot get any liquids in him you can give him a mixture of half water with half unflavored Pedialyte to perk him up. These are not permanent remedies but for a sick kitten needing immediate help. Of course a vet is the best answer. The blood in the stool makes me wonder if he has parasites. That is very common and can cause many of the things you mention. Schedule a vet visit and call around to try and find a reasonable rate. If no vet seems within your ability, try calling a humane society for ideas or help or even a rescue or foster group near you. I am going to look on site for other help for you and kitty. Don’t give up! There will be other responses from members here and other ideas and tips coming.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to post a link that talks about financial help for vet services. Hit or click on the link and go into this post. Then click on the links to help. I don’t know if these are still active resources so please don’t get discouraged if something is a bad link. Try everything. .Last night er vet visit

I am going to go and find more links for you about kitten care.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am posting a link to caring for kittens by one of our members. I am sending you to the page about sick kittens just because it deals with the issue of parasites but at the tip of the page you will see more topics listed and you can tap on any or all of them to learn more about kitten care. I hope something here will help you and your precious baby. Please keep us updated. Kitten-Rescue.com

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One last link for you. This is a thread that mentions a lot of foods for kittens and talks about weighing kittens as well as the stools. You kitten has a fairly firm stool but maybe the food suggestions in some of the responses will be helpful to you. Help Cat Has Diarrhea Again.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is acting lifeless you can try rubbing some Kari syrup or honey on his gums to perk him up a little. It may make him feel better enough to eat more. Kittens require a bit different diet than adults but whatever you can get into a grossly underweight kitten will help. Weighing him can give you something to go on. Keep track if possible. Is he drinking? Dehydration can cause lethargy. He must get enough fluids. When you got him you think he was five weeks maybe? That’s really young to be away from the mother. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food might help him to gain some weight but it should not be the only food over a long period. Maybe mix some with kitten food or whatever you can give him. If he won’t drink water, you can try some goats milk. If you cannot get any liquids in him you can give him a mixture of half water with half unflavored Pedialyte to perk him up. These are not permanent remedies but for a sick kitten needing immediate help. Of course a vet is the best answer. The blood in the stool makes me wonder if he has parasites. That is very common and can cause many of the things you mention. Schedule a vet visit and call around to try and find a reasonable rate. If no vet seems within your ability, try calling a humane society for ideas or help or even a rescue or foster group near you. I am going to look on site for other help for you and kitty. Don’t give up! There will be other responses from members here and other ideas and tips coming.

Thank you, my friend. Excellent advice given and I wonder if it is parasites and he would benefit from being de-wormed?

EricLikesThings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone that replied.. he passed away a few moments ago.. I should have tried dewormers!!... I went to petsmart today to get kitten food!!! Didn’t think worms would be a problem like it didn’t come to mind.. my god all I can do at this point is to bury him and cherish the memories with him.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh! I am so very sorry! You gave him all the love and energy possible to give as you worked to help him. I think he probably came to you with issues that were not clear and it’s possible he had underlying problems from the start. There are some things we just can’t remedy. You did give him a quality of caring and love that I am sure provided him with calm comfort. Thank you for working so hard to help him. My heart is with you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry E EricLikesThings That's very sad news.

We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten passes away as a sign of respect. When you feel ready you are welcome to start a tread in your kitten's memory in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace little kitten, you will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.