Is My Kitten Entering The Teenage Phase?

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Jack is now 5 months old. Or, he will be on the 8th. For the past, I’d say 3 days or so he has been completely ignoring me.

He used to sleep on the pillow above my head, and for the past 3 days he starts out under the bed and gets on it later at some other point during the night. He doesn’t get in my lap anymore either.

He used to be so affectionate... this literally started 3-4 days ago.

Is it the teenager phase or is he mad at me because I keep telling him where he can and can’t go in the house (ie: the counter tops, my roommates room, etc) and what he can and can’t play with (chords, toilet paper, the trash...) ... or are they all just one in the same? Lol.

I’ve never had a kitten before, so I just want to know, will I get my sweet guy back?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Kittens go through lots of phases while they are growing up. One day they are sleeping next to you, the other they are else where sleeping. Or they could be tearing down the toilet roll today and the next is chewing on your hair :lol:

Well, they are kittens and they are growing up. It’s normal for them to act this way. Once they past the growing up phase, you can give them the toilet roll and they’ll might just ignore it. Same as toys, they get tired of it sometimes except for some that really get them up on it.

Just keep showering him with your love, have some routines for him so that he’ll stick to it and the rest, just let him grow out of it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I had my last kitten he was really cuddly up to the age of 6 months then for the next 3/4 months hated being cuddled. Now he's back to his old self. Let yours set the pace, they hate being forced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I had my last kitten he was really cuddly up to the age of 6 months then for the next 3/4 months hated being cuddled. Now he's back to his old self. Let yours set the pace, they hate being forced.
I have been giving him his own space. When he wants to sleep under the bed, or take a nap on the other side of the couch, I let him.

I don’t like affection forced upon myself, I feel like he’s most likely the same way.

Thank you though, that makes me feel better.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been neutered yet? He could also be maturing hormonally.