Is My Kitten Borderline Overweight?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or not but as this is the first time I've had a kitten, I'm not 100% sure. I read somewhere that with kittens, it's almost impossible to overfeed them when they're young. Jiggy is 13 weeks old and I feed her around 1-2 pouches of Felix Kitten daily which are 85 grams and she eats a little kibble here and there.

I have attached some pictures and would like some opinions on whether or not she looks abit chubs. I feel like she has a little bit of a belly but I'm not sure. She's been dewormed twice and a fecal exam came back negative for any parasites.

Should I continue feeding her the same amount or reduce it a little?
20180228_205256.png

20180228_205341.png

20180210_214449.png

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens grow a lot and have regular growth spurts. I would not restrict access to food to a kitten that age, just let her have however much she wants to eat, just try to make sure you are offering a good quality diet rather than junk food. She looks fine (and very very cute!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens grow a lot and have regular growth spurts. I would not restrict access to food to a kitten that age, just let her have however much she wants to eat, just try to make sure you are offering a good quality diet rather than junk food. She looks fine (and very very cute!)
Thanks for your swift reply! I've got her on Felix kitten because that's what she was on before I got her... I have no idea where to go regarding good quality goods but I will do my research.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your swift reply! I've got her on Felix kitten because that's what she was on before I got her... I have no idea where to go regarding good quality goods but I will do my research.
I actually think it's important to try a whole range of different foods with kittens, so they do not end up too fussy. Good quality foods would be ones with a higher meat content and no wheat/corn/soya in the ingredients.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! I don't think she looks overweight. Can you lightly feel her ribs if you try? Kittens her age are doing a lot of developing and growing, we don't want to restrict their access to food. but it is best to feed a high protein, moderate fat, low carb foods, so she grows muscle and not fat. :)

Feed her all she wants, at that age i always let them have free access to food, no restrictions. :)

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! I don't think she looks overweight. Can you lightly feel her ribs if you try? Kittens her age are doing a lot of developing and growing, we don't want to restrict their access to food. but it is best to feed a high protein, moderate fat, low carb foods, so she grows muscle and not fat. :)

Feed her all she wants, at that age i always let them have free access to food, no restrictions. :)
Thanks so much for your reply! Yes I can slightly feel her ribs when I run my fingers on her side :)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others said, she doesn’t look overweight. Also the position that she is in will make her tummy look bigger than it is because she’s laying on it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This chart may help with overweight judging. But I'd agree not overweight and I wouldn't try to start paying attention until 6 months at the earliest. A kitten can get a food belly pretty easily and maybe growing at a different way then what is considered normal. My girl went through a barrel phase (honestly she never really outgrew it) where she looked very chunky in the middle and felt more solid in the middle. But she wasn't actually gaining weight it was just her adult body shape of being round with tiny legs taking shape.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What country are you in? I know there is a list of good UK foods here on TCS. ZooPlus is popular European pet supply web site to buy food from.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
This chart may help with overweight judging. But I'd agree not overweight and I wouldn't try to start paying attention until 6 months at the earliest. A kitten can get a food belly pretty easily and maybe growing at a different way then what is considered normal. My girl went through a barrel phase (honestly she never really outgrew it) where she looked very chunky in the middle and felt more solid in the middle. But she wasn't actually gaining weight it was just her adult body shape of being round with tiny legs taking shape.

Thanks so much! That is very helpful.

What country are you in? I know there is a list of good UK foods here on TCS. ZooPlus is popular European pet supply web site to buy food from.
I'm from Australia.. I'm currently looking into Royal Canin but I'm not sure if that is high quality or not.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know australia Royal Canin is a bit different then here in the us but tbh, It’s over priced extremely high carb cat food. Not something I would ever buy. Not very different to the likes of cat chow but double the price. Is ziwi peak available to you? It’s made in New Zealand. Also look into Orijen which I believe is available in Austrialia Could be wrong through. And make sure to include wet foods that are low in carbs as well (carbs are grains, peas, potatoes etc) and maybe even include some raw/cooked fresh meats when you can.

Last edited:

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IDK how good royal canin cat food is but I feed my pom the mini dog food and she likes it, her her fur is shiny and soft and she has got a good build, and she really likes it. I usually feed my cats solid gold, but I just got a bag of chicken soup for the soul, and they like that too!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin is low quality food. I would go to an independent pet store near you as they tend to have higher quality products.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To me she looks darn good. I get paranoid sometimes when my cat is sitting in certain positions, but she is fine. I see pictures on YouTube sometimes and some of those vats are WHALES. I get so worried when I see them. Ailish is 2 1/2 and still very active and I pay attention to calories. She can leap tall bookcases in a single bound and I want to keep it that way.