Is my kitten a Russian blue/length of hair?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s adorable! Congratulations on your new furbaby! :lovecat:

I agree with @carebearbaby1’s assessment. If you want to use cat fancy terminology (where grey is called blue), you would say blue and white Domestic Shorthair. Getting more specific about his pattern, I would describe his markings as “mitted tuxedo”. So, if you want to give a fancy description of him, you could say “blue and white bicolor, in the mitted tuxedo pattern Domestic Shorthair”.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what you call him, because he is an exceptionally good-looking kitten in any case. I do hope that you will keep us updated with more pictures as he grows up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleyy2384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was looking at my kitten. She has huge whiskers and she’s a little fluffy. Do you know whether she will have short or long Hair? 819E80F5-A90B-4E43-8CD3-7A81DF7B8BB3.jpeg CB390179-029C-4511-9624-72AA4BD07769.jpeg DF93B181-9C75-48E7-80FF-07268B32AE3F.jpeg 843CB566-AC92-4537-A0C3-8100E948F48C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My guess is shorthair. Sometimes kitten fuzzies make them look like they'll have longer hair, but it tends to smooth out as they get older.

Very cute kitten. What is her name?

Ashleyy2384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My guess is shorthair. Sometimes kitten fuzzies make them look like they'll have longer hair, but it tends to smooth out as they get older.

Very cute kitten. What is her name?
Her name is Chloe :) thank you! I just wasn’t sure because of her whiskers she kinda had that longer haired look. Or maybe medium haired even though I know that’s not a real thing.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Her name is Chloe :) thank you! I just wasn’t sure because of her whiskers she kinda had that longer haired look. Or maybe medium haired even though I know that’s not a real thing.
Whiskers aren't the most accurate indicator of overall hair length. Longhair kittens will frequently have tufts between their toes and longer tufts on the ear tips.

A couple of years ago the category for our Picture of the Month contest was Whiskers. Take a look at the entries and you'll see that many of the shorthair cats have long whiskers.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whiskers aren't the most accurate indicator of overall hair length. Longhair kittens will frequently have tufts between their toes and longer tufts on the ear tips.

A couple of years ago the category for our Picture of the Month contest was Whiskers. Take a look at the entries and you'll see that many of the shorthair cats have long whiskers.
Right. Whiskers arent really part of the body fur! They are sense organs... Called for vibrissae - so again, they are something else than the body fur. Even if at first glance they seems alike.
They are very sensitive to touch, but also movements in the air, and helps them navigate in darkness.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See above re my answer on whiskers....

Virginia H.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Russian Blue. First of all, Russian Blue cats are supposed to be all blue/grey. The only white, which is a flaw, is on the belly. They don't supposed to have any tail stripes. Also a thick double coat. The eye color supposed to be green. Yellow outsides are common in kittens, then should fade out by the age of two. Photo #1 is my cat. Photo #2 is a pure breed.
IMG_0506.jpg
PSX_1.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Photo #2 is a pure breed.
The cat in your photo #2 isn't a Russian Blue. I know it can be confusing when you look for pictures online!

This cat appears to be a blue domestic shorthair of no particular breed. The photographer calls it a "green eyed Maltese cat, also known as British Blue," which doesn't make a whole lot of sense (and if you look at the other photos of this cat you will see it doesn't look like a British Blue at all). Here is the photo being sold on a stock photo site: Green Eyed Maltese Cat Also Known As The British Blue Stock Photo

There is some reliable information about Russian Blue cats at this web site, including many pictures:

Ashleyy2384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat in your photo #2 isn't a Russian Blue. I know it can be confusing when you look for pictures online!

This cat appears to be a blue domestic shorthair of no particular breed. The photographer calls it a "green eyed Maltese cat, also known as British Blue," which doesn't make a whole lot of sense (and if you look at the other photos of this cat you will see it doesn't look like a British Blue at all). Here is the photo being sold on a stock photo site: Green Eyed Maltese Cat Also Known As The British Blue Stock Photo

There is some reliable information about Russian Blue cats at this web site, including many pictures:
[/URL]
Was the green eyed Maltese cat her cat you were referring to?

Ashleyy2384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Russian Blue. First of all, Russian Blue cats are supposed to be all blue/grey. The only white, which is a flaw, is on the belly. They don't supposed to have any tail stripes. Also a thick double coat. The eye color supposed to be green. Yellow outsides are common in kittens, then should fade out by the age of two. Photo #1 is my cat. Photo #2 is a pure breed.View attachment 379526View attachment 379527
Would you know what type of kitten she is?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you know what type of kitten she is?
From the picture, I would describe the kitten as a blue domestic shorthair. Your kitten appears to be a blue and white domestic shorthair. They are both lovely kittens -- I am a big fan of blue cats :)

Virginia H.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The 2nd link didn't work. Somehow it's blocked. My cat lost the warm grey hues. She looks like the Maltese cat now. Only thing is her outer iris is yellow, not green. Can Maltese have either eye color?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 2nd link didn't work. Somehow it's blocked. My cat lost the warm grey hues. She looks like the Maltese cat now. Only thing is her outer iris is yellow, not green. Can Maltese have either eye color?
"Maltese" is not an official breed, but is simply a term that can be used to refer to any blue cat. Most blue cats do not have any specific breed ancestry. That doesn't make them any less pretty or special, though!