Is My Kitten A Purebred Ragdoll?

Lenadeonna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I visited a local ragdoll cattery that I found on Yelp with some decent ratings (which is rare) and paid a $100 deposit for the kitten that I'm getting soon. It's a seal lynx ragdoll and it is going to be 4 months old. The total price with the deposit will be $750 and there's a contract with statements including 3 years health guarantee, TICA registration and pedigree of 3 generations and other 10+ policies. However when I came across a rescue lady and showed her my kitten pictures she said it looks like a siamese mix as the tail looks longer and some other features. How can I differentiate whether the papers are genuine or fake when I pick up my kitten, and does it seem to be a purebred ragdoll or a mix that I'm overpaying?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The paperwork looks good. and it is true, for a non breeder not interested in major shows the difference between a nice look alike moggie and a purebred (pet quality) may be very thin, practically may be nonexistent. Esp as the non breeder often get pet quality cats - as he isnt interested in show carrieer and thus not willing to pay the price for show quality.
So what you pay for is essentielly the papers.

This cat is mitted, ie has white on him, white paws and possibly also other white places. While mitted ragdolls does exists, its not in the basic ragdoll description, they are variation in the standard, so to speak. So it should be mentioned in his description. Is it?

I mean, birmans for example, does has socks, and thus are technically mitted, but nobody mentions they are mitted - the socks ARE part of their basic breed description.

The hairs on your boy are a little short, but it may be the summer fur, becoming longer with age and the winter season.

FrogQueen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cute kitten! Congratulations.

You've already gotten some good advice. I don't doubt that your kitten is a ragdoll. It is normal for kittens to have a skinny tail, even if they will have a full tail as adults. It takes time for the coat to fill out.

Since you are getting your kitten from a reputable breeder, I would ask to see your kitten's parents. It's part of the fun and benefit of getting your kitten that way, in my opinion. The mother should be on site for you to meet when you pick up your kitten, and if the father isn't, the breeder should be able to show you pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lenadeonna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies I really appreciate it! I've pasted additional information below for your reference:

Breeder's website: Calirags Ragdolls of California: A California Breeder that Produces Lovable Ragdoll Cats & Kittens
Ragdoll Mom: Ragdoll Dad:
I did some research on my own and I do agree the fur may look short compare to average ragdoll kittens, so someone even suspected it to be a Blue Lynx Point mitted domestic longhair instead. As FrogQueen mentioned, I got to meet the kitten's mom when I visited the site although not the dad. The kitten was rather playful than floppy though! I tried to hold her and she wanted to get away, guess she was scared but then she sneak attacked from the back when I was playing with other kittens.

Let me know what other information I may provide on my end!

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would say yes you're overpaying by the simple virtue that so many cats need homes. You can also get more than just DSH/DLH if you look around. In my relatively short time doing TNR work I've come across a Scottish Fold, two Manx, and a British Short Hair (in Toronto).

Just ask yourself why it's important that it be a Ragdoll. If you're not a breeder, is it the status of having an expensive breed, the particular look you enjoy, the personality? Whatever it is, ask if a purebred is the only thing that can give you that and if not, maybe look around at rescues. There are amazing cats out there in foster homes and shelters. Edit: and to be clear, if you choose the Ragdoll for any reason, that does not come with any judgement or guilt. They need homes too.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would say yes you're overpaying by the simple virtue that so many cats need homes. You can also get more than just DSH/DLH if you look around. In my relatively short time doing TNR work I've come across a Scottish Fold, two Manx, and a British Short Hair (in Toronto).

Just ask yourself why it's important that it be a Ragdoll. If you're not a breeder, is it the status of having an expensive breed, the particular look you enjoy, the personality? Whatever it is, ask if a purebred is the only thing that can give you that and if not, maybe look around at rescues. There are amazing cats out there in foster homes and shelters. Edit: and to be clear, if you choose the Ragdoll for any reason, that does not come with any judgement or guilt. They need homes too.
While I'm a strong proponent of adopting rather than purchasing, the majority of Rag Doll owners make their choice based on the fact that Rag Dolls are as close to hypoallergenic as one can get, having no undercoat whatsoever, and the lowest measured levels of the Fel d 1 Protein, which is the primary cause of allergies and asthmatic reactions in people sensitive to cats.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is indeed a ragdoll. In the future please know, you can find these kittens at shelters.I understand you want this kitten and that is great, it is just that so many kittens/cats are in shelters dying.Don't take this as an insult , it is not intended to be.- If you have doubts about your kitten, I think frogQueen is right, ask to see the parents.A breeder should have no problem with that.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While I'm a strong proponent of adopting rather than purchasing, the majority of Rag Doll owners make their choice based on the fact that Rag Dolls are as close to hypoallergenic as one can get, having no undercoat whatsoever, and the lowest measured levels of the Fel d 1 Protein, which is the primary cause of allergies and asthmatic reactions in people sensitive to cats.

Learn something new every day. That's cool to know, is there a study that lists the different breeds and the Fel d 1 Protein levels? A lot of non-scientific lists don't list Ragdoll so it's hard to tell what's what.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Learn something new every day. That's cool to know, is there a study that lists the different breeds and the Fel d 1 Protein levels? A lot of non-scientific lists don't list Ragdoll so it's hard to tell what's what.
If there is, I haven't seen it, although abyeb abyeb is much more up-to-date than am I. The Polish medical journal publishers Wydawnictwo Przeglad Lekarski had an article about twenty years ago on a study conducted by the Instytut Gruźlicy:

Instytut Gruźlicy i Chorób Płuc w Warszawie

in Warsaw which dealt with a very small cross section ( 20 or 25 cats?) centered around the Fel d 1 Protein as an Asthma trigger, but it seems an "orphan" subject on the whole.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If there is, I haven't seen it, although abyeb abyeb is much more up-to-date than am I. The Polish medical journal publishers Wydawnictwo Przeglad Lekarski had an article about twenty years ago on a study conducted by the Instytut Gruźlicy:

in Warsaw which dealt with a very small cross section ( 20 or 25 cats?) centered around the Fel d 1 Protein as an Asthma trigger, but it seems an "orphan" subject on the whole.

I dug into this and as with a lot of things the science just isn't there or is being used to market a product that can't deliver. Fel D1 is actually only 1 of 8 major allergens along with minor allergens that can cause reactions. Even the "low Fel D1" cats still cause reactions and even heavily biased studies on specific breeds could only produce low Fel D1 results half the time.

Sadly, no such thing as a "hypoallergenic" cat breed, which is too bad because my wife is allergic :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lenadeonna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies, truly! I personally have a DSH tabby cat that I adopted in Indiana back in 2013 and we moved to California in 2015 (we flew on a plane together)! He's the best cat that I can ever ask for and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. After knowing more about cats I did research to study on different breeds and found Ragdoll can be a great additional family member with my current situation, so with that being said I want to make sure that I'm getting from a reputable breeder. I looked up the breeder's name in the complaint board and it shows no record, and if the breeder is a fraud by any chance then I don't think this breeder deserves trust and other people deserve to know. They've been around since 2012 I think. Also when I visited the site I did see the mother just like FrogQueen mentioned, not the father however.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are TICA registered, they've been around since 2010 according to Yelp, and the only "negative" review was because they didn't have any kittens at the time lol. All the adult pictures look decent, no mittens on some but that's not required. RW SGC CFA wins.

No red flags I can see.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some additional information for your reference.
Ragdoll Dad-
Dad is RW Supreme Grand Champion Overland Trail (formerly) Wild Bill (now Of CalRags) - 9th Best Cat of the 2008 season; Mom appears to be CH Rock N Rags (formerly) Into the Mystic (now Of CalRags). The answer to your original question is, "no doubt about it; your kitten's RagDoll pedigree is a matter of public record, and you certainly didn't overpay."

I hope you'll share pictures with us as your new kitten grows.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

Here's a 2008 study dealing with allergies to cats, dogs, and horses.

https://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/do...ce-measures_effective-or-futile-CACI-2008.pdf

However, years after the study in 2013, other studies have shown the allerca cat to be no more hypoallergenic than other breeds.

Hypoallergenic Cat: Scientific Breakthrough or Hype?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
A breeder has little motivation to sell a kitten that is misrepresented as a purebred. The quality may be different for some breeders. While all my cats are toss a ways I don't like purebred cat shaming anymore than I care for cat food shaming.

sydney0502

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping folk's are still reading this as I have a hard time with most "ragdoll" breeders. I actually find several ragdoll sites representing mixes and definitely Siamese types - some Ive seen are nothing more than domestic short hair without even blue eyes. I believe this topic may be controversial but my own experience I just purchased my 2nd ragdoll and convinced it is a Siamese - more specifically balimese - mix. From the moment I saw him I knew as he has slanted eyes, club paws - (ie. long protruded toes) - shorter hair then my current older Ragdoll and extremely vocal. He is gorgeous and I'm already loving him forever but I don't believe for a second that this kitten isn't a mix. The issue I find even more mind boggling is my kitten has papers - so my own thought is that the entire "Ragdoll" breed is too wide if they can accept such different "looks" and still be Ragdoll. My older Ragdoll (9 yrs old) - Mowgli is one huge Fluffy bush ball. He was a walking fluff ball when I picked him up at 10 weeks and now a gynormous bush /fur ball - 9 years later. My new kitten is not a bush ball at all. He is "plush" and isn't what I consider short hair but nothing like my Mowgli. Your photo is very similar to my Vayetsi - see photo. I do think my Vayetsi is gorgeous but I actually paid $900 - and should have been more careful. I blame myself as I didn't want to wait..talked with the "breeder" before he was born..she was very open with me sending photos of the mom/Dad and I knew the Mom didn't appear the typical Ragdoll - she was more domestic short hair with a fluffy tail. But I decided to do it anyway -

What I find ironic, is 9 years ago when I was looking for my Mowgli I couldn't get any of the fancy "website" Ragdoll breeders - you know the kind..angels, music (so annoying and not sure why they feel the websites have to be so tacky)..but not one would email me in a timely manner, keep in touch in a reasonable way to keep the conversations going and seemed extremely shady and "greedy". One agreed to hold a kitten but once her mother became pregnant I called her to ask where to send the deposit and never heard back. There was another - the "worst" in my experience who flat out refused to post any photos of his kittens - but send to me as well - all of them wanted over $800 (and this was 9 years ago). I ended up finding a small ad in the paper about 6 hours away from my house - $425!!! Lady emailed me photos right away and guaranteed my boy without even accepting the deposit. I sent it to her but she kept her word that he was mine from the get go. She was more a housewife not interested in making money as much. I thought I would be getting a "discount" ragdoll but didn't care. It turns out, Mowgli is absolutely gorgeous in all Ragdoll features. I don't have his kitten photos but he was a giant fluff ball - see attached. I always thought I got a discount Ragdoll and never asked for papers (not sure what Id do with them), I just love Ragdolls - not to show but to share my home with. Mowgli was my first - in all the years he has turned out to be so much more gorgeous and beautiful then so many I saw on those expensive shady breeder websites. He is every bit Ragdoll. Now my new kitten does lay on his back, stretch and roll and is extremely personable and crazy playful - but one strong "Siamese" trait he has that none of my cats in all of my years of having cats -he talks like crazy..I mean howls. This is definitetly Siamese trait.

I do believe Ragdolls come from Siamese in their history so take it for what its worth. I did see photos of Mom/Dad of my kitten and knew the mom was shorter hair and looked more like a domestic short hair with fluffy tail - but I decided to get him anyway..so don't blame anyone but myself for spending the money. However it makes me angry when I think of how these "breeders" charge this ridiculous fee and yet he is not even close to looking like my Mowgli. Most ragdolls are large, super fluffy - big paws..round saucer eyes (must be blue). And they are "supposed" to be known for quiet..this new kitten screams bloody murder half the time..very Siamese. My lesson learned is just work with the person that has the kittens you want..if they are not born yet, look at mom/dad and if they don't converse and stay true like a normal "professional" and workable person..move on. If you do pay more than you are comfortable with make sure you are ok with it - as although I am annoyed I paid so much..I love my Vayetsi.

Attachments

sydney0502

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW, on the breeder vs. adoption - I didn't care about papers, hypo "whatever" (not sure I believe that)..I have always had strays..and shelter cats but what is not being said is I feel that adopting from shelters can be extremely frustrating. I do not want my cats ending up on street and take it very seriously when deciding to bring into my home..I anticipate 20years (or close to it) to raise my healthy "inside " cat so have some check list items to ensure the cat/and my family can co exist the best starting out. I want to be able to have some bonding with my cat and happen to dearly love the long haired, fat, round face beauties...personally they can be a cross..doesn't matter. I believe now with all my experiences with ragdoll nonsense that most likely most out there are Siamese mixes Reason I cant work with shelters anymore is I am absolutely against vaccines, early neuter..I have my research and 2 dead cats to back up my issues with vaccines...most shelter people have no idea about what they are doing to these animals just preach neuter and vaccinate..which IMO is not always the best for the cats health. Since my cat will be with me for life, I have a right to want to ensure he /she is healthy. That being said, I am all for adopting if it came to that. I just couldn't work with so many due to their inability to work with me on those two issues. Also, when you want a kitten..forget it. You minus well be trying to adopt a child from over seas- so many ads when I get there the kittens are not there..you call these so called "foster homes" only to be treated weird in my opinion. I had one lady tell me she would put me at top of list ONLY if I took two? What? I was a great home and would dearly love that kitten but was not ready for 2 - breeders tend to work with you more but then again..that is because they are making so much money in process.