Is my kitten a girl or boy??

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an almost 4 month old kitten. She’s a brazilian short hair and scottish fold mix (so i’m told).
The vet says she’s a girl and she’s perfectly healthy.
However, I recently started to notice a scrotum like bump appear between her anal and vaginal opening.
Can someone tell me if she’s a girl or boy?? I can’t tell!!
BC0182B7-1B36-4570-AC68-C898F7E44F58.jpeg
F7FC5E97-4921-4755-80CC-802BF9954120.jpeg
5461D335-6865-4304-AEA8-5230263E693E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I am honestly not sure. I would double check with your vet D: That does look male to me, but I'm also awful with telling for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it’s weird cause she’s been to the vet for her vaccines and never once was mentioned that she could be a boy!
they told us she’s female from the start when we got her at 5 weeks.
I just started questioning this bc of that bump area between her anal opening and supposed vaginal opening

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That is most definitely a boy.

He looks like he is reaching sexual maturity too, which might mean he starts spraying soon. Have you already got an appointment for a spay surgery? Ask your vet if you can change that to a neuter surgery. That will cost you a bit less, so congrats on a boy!

1632737993582.png

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is most definitely a boy.

He looks like he is reaching sexual maturity too, which might mean he starts spraying soon. Have you already got an appointment for a spay surgery? Ask your vet if you can change that to a neuter surgery. That will cost you a bit less, so congrats on a boy!

View attachment 396585
November 2nd is the date for the spay/neuter
Kali (my kitten) will be exactly 5 months by then!
I hope it’s not too late!

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's adorable! But quite obviously a boy. I don't know how the vet missed that.

:lol:
i know! i’m thinking of switching vets
we paid a lot of $$ for some sloppy check up 😭
thank you for your help!!

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so hard to tell when they're tiny, but that does look like a boy now!

When I rescued my kitten at five weeks old, it took two visits before we were sure about his gender; the techs argued about it on the first visit, and then set up a betting pool and asked us to come back two weeks later. :lol: Sometimes kittens develop at different rates and like to give us a surprise!

Congrats on the boy--he's adorable!

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s weird cause she’s been to the vet for her vaccines and never once was mentioned that she could be a boy! They told us she’s female from the start when we got her at 5 weeks. I just started questioning this because of that bump area between her anal opening and supposed vaginal opening.
Five weeks is too young to know the gender. The testicles drop a little later.

This happened to my sister when she rescued a 5-month old kitten. She named the kitten Nala, but learned later it is a boy and had to change his name to Simba.

You definitely have a boy.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it's easy to tell when they are tiny but usually at that age it's soooo easy to misjudge, still though if you feel unsure about your vet its better to change for your peace of mind

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes it's easy to tell when they are tiny but usually at that age it's soooo easy to misjudge, still though if you feel unsure about your vet its better to change for your peace of mind
that is true! We noticed this bump/scrotum for about two weeks now and assumed it was the vulva or something. I just wished the vet had checked carefully- I think also the fact that the penis is very circular was also a dead giveaway

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Five weeks is too young to know the gender. The testicles drop a little later
Untrue, you can sex at birth. Kittens are typically born with their testicles descended, unless one or both are retained.

It’s true that they may drop during nursing, but that’s hardly the typical scenario.

Besides, a visible scrotum only makes sexing easier, not what makes it possible.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that 5-week photo, I think it's pretty obvious! Some kittens are a bit more mysterious at that age but he's quite the little man ;). I have no idea why the vet said he was a girl, except that some vets aren't great at sexing kittens.

I find that it's easiest to tell when they're under a week old, and then 5-6 weeks+.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Five weeks is too young to know the gender. The testicles drop a little later.
not sure why 5 weeks would be too young, kittens testicles drop in the womb and can be felt around 4 weeks old, along with the obviously different visual signs of a male & female genital area. Kittens are easily sexed at birth or anytime after.

as already said by other this kitten is clearly a boy.
Is there any reason he was away from his mum at such a young age?