Is my kitten a boy or a girl ?

Mand2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is my kitten a boy or girl ? I was told a girl but I'm not sure I'm thinking a boy but I'm really unsure. Kittens is 9wks old .
20210918_103618.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's a little tricky on a dark cat from a picture. I'm guessing girl, but you may have to wait a few more weeks to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mand2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten is also fluffy too so that makes it difficult in these pictures it makes me think boy. I've added kittens cute face too so it's not all backside.
20210916_095738.jpg
20210918_173505.jpg
20210918_180111.jpg

jhix52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to agree, it looks like a boy from what I can tell. It's hard to tell with the thick hair and the other pics are a little fuzzy.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An easy way to tell is if you see something that looks like a : it's a boy of you see a upside down ! then have a girl. It can be hard to tell on fluffy kitties or young ones.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have the kitten standing up, hold tail out the way and take the photo.
You can also slightly dampen a longhair for a better look, but looks like a boy from the current photos.

Mand2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone, still can't get the perfect photo here is the last attempt, and we have no idea what to call the kitten, as we had a girlie name and if he is a boy it's not 20210921_145918_remastered.jpg really suitable for him.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, still can't get the perfect photo here is the last attempt, and we have no idea what to call the kitten, as we had a girlie name and if he is a boy it's not View attachment 395834really suitable for him.
I am not sure but I think it’s a girl.. see pics… she also looks like some sort of pointed chocolate tortie maybe, maybe it is just the light. Either way gorgeous baby ❤❤

624733A9-3925-4153-9B85-5A24CF5F8C30.png

Mand2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this is today's photo of my kitten its looking like a boy to me what's all your thoughts now ?
20210924_171358.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy :) Opening is a small circle, and far from the anus.Testicles look potentially undescended, though

she also looks like some sort of pointed chocolate tortie
Looks black solid — variation like this is very typical of kitten coat.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The picture in Post #3 shows red highlights, which is very atypical for a male kitten.
That’s rusting, caused by sun exposure, regardless of sex. Such colour change is also common in kittens as their coat changes. Has nothing to do with tortoiseshell. It’s more uncommon to have a solid black cat than one with brown or red undertones.
Plenty of examples even on site, like here Is this rusting?

Last edited:

Mand2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Boy :) Opening is a small circle, and far from the anus.Testicles look potentially undescended, though

Looks black solid — variation like this is very typical of kitten coat.

Thank you this is was I thought too.
I think the area where is testicles will be (he's only 10wks old) was mistaken as the vaginal opening as it does look like that. His penis was well hidden in his fluffiness.
And his mum was a tortie, he's mainly black with the brown on the tips of his fur.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He seems to also have some silver tabby fur in the last picture. How is that possible if the others don't show any of it?

If that picture is accurate, I would love to have a cat who looks like him!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems to also have some silver tabby fur in the last picture. How is that possible if the others don't show any of it?

If that picture is accurate, I would love to have a cat who looks like him!
Not silver, just light reflecting off the fur. All cats with healthy coats will have this to some extent. It’s generally more noticeable on dark fur.

ETA: some of the effect is caused by the white wispy guard hairs in the coat — they’ll become more uniform and less obvious as the coat matures.

Last edited:

Mand2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's just a multicoloured fluff ball, he does have slight hints of grey in him, and he has loads of single white fur strands in his legs.

Mand2711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a boy! That last picture did it for me! I'll trade you three girls for him....JUST KIDDING, i have all girls!
Haha who I got him from thought he was a girl. That's why I posted on here as a friend of mine said he's actually a boy lol.