Is My Cat’s Spay Incision Infected?

UsagiToast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:help: So I got my cat spayed on the 2nd of December and everything went well. I had the cone on her for about 5 days and then let her run free (not outside).
2AC0F8D6-39C9-4C4B-B195-21D48C0C221A.jpeg
It has now been roughly 2 weeks and I notice her incision had some clear liquid and i suddenly got worried. This is her incision right now. Should I be worried or am i just being a little paranoid?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a bit of irritation from the dissolving stitches. It doesn't look infected to me and her body should take care of the remaining sutures soon. If it gets more red or the leakage looks more cloudy than clear, give the vet a call. Maybe they can remove what's left of the sutures.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If in question i suggest having the vet check her. My kitten had hers done by the local shelter when we got her, my vet checked her that day and said everything looked OK. About 2 weeks later i thought it looked a little funny so i took her back in. She had a reaction to the sutures that were used, the vet had to go back in and redo everything, said it could have really caused a problem if i hadn't caught it so quick. so i am a bit paranoid about this..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UsagiToast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cleaned it up a bit but I feel like it looks worse now. I might take her into the clinic where I got her spay done. I really don’t want it to get worse

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cleaned it up a bit but I feel like it looks worse now. I might take her into the clinic where I got her spay done. I really don’t want it to get worse
If possible i would take her in, mine had quite a bit of problem with hers. she had the reaction to the suture material and tissue started dying. my vet had to operate, not once but twice over a three week period to deal with the dying tissue. granted he said that is not a common problem, but for her it almost killed her. my other girl never had a problem one, you just never know.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to The Cat Site!

That incision looks fine. It’s dry and although there is a bit of redness, it’s not the angry red of an infection. The edges of the wound are right next to each other, too. The things to look out for are redness, swelling, pain, warmth and cloudy discharge. And if the edges of the wound separate, that’s a problem even without an infection.

Good luck with your kitty and thank you for getting her spayed. Can we have a photo of the rest of her and her name, too?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not look too bad, but has she licked at it at all? I would make sure she is not doing that. Watch for any leakage, it should not have any drainage or bleeding from here on. And i would also look for any separation. If there is any drainage or looks like the wound is starting to separate i would get her back in.

Some cats may have a lot of swelling, or redness with an infection, mine did not. She had some seeping around the incision, it was an infection. Then later she had some separation that was caused by a reaction to the suture materials.

Most cats have no problem with a spay, but some do. It is major surgery. I would keep her cone on, keep her as calm as possible, and if it looks wrong to you take her in for a quick check. Do keep us updated with how she is doing! :heartshape:

Nakashie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her name is nala. Like from the lion king. And the vet didnt provide a cone for some reason.

Nakashie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does not look too bad, but has she licked at it at all? I would make sure she is not doing that. Watch for any leakage, it should not have any drainage or bleeding from here on. And i would also look for any separation. If there is any drainage or looks like the wound is starting to separate i would get her back in.

Some cats may have a lot of swelling, or redness with an infection, mine did not. She had some seeping around the incision, it was an infection. Then later she had some separation that was caused by a reaction to the suture materials.

Most cats have no problem with a spay, but some do. It is major surgery. I would keep her cone on, keep her as calm as possible, and if it looks wrong to you take her in for a quick check. Do keep us updated with how she is doing! :heartshape:
She has licked it but i caught her every time and i stop her. I been putting her in her kinnel at night so i can watch her more closely since i get off at 11pm.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nala is adorable! And the incision looks good. If she’s licking it all the time, I would keep the cone on, even if she doesn’t like it. Another thing you can do is cut up a sock and put it around her middle, so when she licks, the wound will be covered.

Good luck and keep us updated.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Licking the incision can cause quite a bit of damage, and lead to infection as well as separating of the incision. I do recommend a cone, or a body stocking. something to keep her from being able to lick it! :crossfingers:

Nakashie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shes doing better today. Kinda walks funny with cone on lol. The sight is doing better. The only thing about the cone is its hard for her to eat the wet food. She picks at it instead of really eating it. She doesnt mind the cone not as much as yesterday.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she will not like the cone, but she will as silkenpaw silkenpaw says, adjust. My little white girl had to wear one for 4 months, and she learned to eat, play, do what ever she wanted with it on. It really can save some heartache when it comes to a spay incision. Do keep us updated on how your little girl is doing!