Is my cat's neuter incision infected?

gilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm very new here and I have a very important question. I took my cat to the vet to get him neutered a week ago (last Wednesday) and his incision site has looked fine until about a day ago. I looked yesterday and there was some raised skin and today I noticed an odd smell. It's not a really bad smell but it's not pleasant either. Here is the picture I took. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I figured I'd ask some other people who know more about neuter incisions than I do.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
The photo looks a little odd to me....so I'm really glad that you are taking him in tomorrow... to see your Vet.
(I cannot tell if his tail is in the way, or his scrotal sac is just too large...or what that dark looking area underneath the sac is.
Could just be the angle of the photo, though.

It's good that you noticed...and will be getting a re-check.:agree:

Please update, us tomorrow, when you get the chance.
Hope all goes well. Good luck.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitten/cat?
And yes, that is a better photo...but nothing like I remember seeing in my own cats from previous neuters.
It's like you said...that some type of internal skin got raised...so possibly an internal infection, or internal movement of some kind.

Is he eating, and drinking, going to the litter box normally?
Has he been licking the area more than usual?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s a little over a year old, I got him off craigslist so i’m not sure of his exact age sadly. his eating and drinking is normal and so are his bowel movements. I also noticed that his incision looks different than the pictures I looked up, but that could just be me being overly paranoid. It’s almost like his sac looks deflated and not gone? i’m also very new to neutering so I could be wrong.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks gilee gilee ...."sac ...deflated and not gone"...is actually okay.
What I'm having a problem seeing is his actual anal area, and penis opening...so to me...his scrotal area looks larger.

If you are not squeamish...then this site is excellent for explaining the neutering procedure...because it has photos and drawings.

gilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that’s interesting.. i’ll definitely check more into the procedure, thank you for informing me! I think i’ll feel better knowing more about the procedure, and after going to the vet tomorrow. thank you so much for your help! i’ll let you know how everything goes :)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, no problem.
I was trying to find some better photos...so you can compare.
Maybe it's just the way your cat is sitting...and the angle of the photo.
(I think I'm more used to looking at my cats while they are standing up...and raising their tail...but that is sometimes very, very hard to do. Since they don't always want to stay still or co-operate.

I think that there are some photos on this Site, too,...in the "Search feature"...top right corner...just could not find them fast enough.
And yes, please update...when you have the time. :)
May be show us a photo of how he looks from the front, too. :blush:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
yes definitely lol, his name is milo and he’s such a cutie, a menace but a cute one:lol:
Hahaha. Yes, definitely cute..and silky looking...with awesome ears...that he will still probably grow into.
He's got those cute inquisitive eyes, too...lol. :cool2: :blackcat:
You've definitely got a "detective cat" ...on your hands, there.
Milo the cute menace....that is adorable. :lol:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so what I did was looked at the second photo with Microsoft Office Picture manager,...and rotated it upside down.
I think why it looks a bit strange...is because his tan scrotal fur is growing back so fast...and he sort of has the scrotal area in a pyramid shape.
It also makes sense,...since he is around one year old...that his scrotal sac would be larger...so needs more time to deflate.
But it is interesting that you smelled a different odour from him. That makes me curious.
You are an excellent pet guardian...for noticing all these things.:)

I'm still glad...that you are taking him in to the Vet...for the re-check.
I really don't think you have to worry, though.
The Vet will probably feel the area too, for hotness, and will know straight away...just by looking at it.
I'm sure they have done hundreds of neuters.

gilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hahaha. Yes, definitely cute..and silky looking...with awesome ears...that he will still probably grow into.
He's got those cute inquisitive eyes, too...lol. :cool2: :blackcat:
You've definitely got a "detective cat" ...on your hands, there.
Milo the cute menace....that is adorable. :lol:

gilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I didn’t end up going to the vet, I just sent them a a couple pictures and they said it looks fine, but to keep an eye on it. And that if it gets worse to call and get some antibiotics. Thank you for all of your help, it is much appreciated!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I didn’t end up going to the vet, I just sent them a a couple pictures and they said it looks fine, but to keep an eye on it. And that if it gets worse to call and get some antibiotics. Thank you for all of your help, it is much appreciated!
Thank you for the update. And you are very welcome.
All the best for quick healing vibes for Milo. :bluepaw: :vibes::vibes::blackcat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at the photos too and every cat is different. Photos are often not the easiest way to spot an issue. I was more in tune to your mention of an odor. That would be a clue for me with the rescues here. Did you mention the odor to the vet? If not, please do. Milo! You are precious! Lol I love Milo!

gilee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he is cute isn’t he!! and yes! i did mention the smell to the vet but he just said to keep an eye on everything for the next day and upcoming weekend.