Is my cat's incision Infected?

MumtoFluffyMiloandPearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat recently got nuetered for retained testicle. It was in his inguinal canal and incision is barely a centimeter or two. After the surgery the vet told me to clean the incision twice daily with methylated spirit and then apply derma gel spray on it I've been doing that since and he also went for follow ups for two days after the surgery for antibiotic shots which my vet gives just incase there's an infection developing. Now 5 days after the surgery today when I was routinely cleaning his incision I noticed a tiny gap btw the incision I don't know if it's normal I might have seen a lil bit of discharge too not sure though. But I'm crazy worried it may be infected. He's fine otherwise eating normal not much though but normally too doesn't eat that much so nothing to worry about that. He's active too a bit calmer than before but otherwise looks fine. I don't know if I should take him to the vet I don't want to unless it's totally necessary which I am not sure about bcz his vet is 1 hour 30 mins from us. I'm attaching some pictures of his incision if anyone can help me out.
20211128_173759.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I see the gap you're referring to, but not sure if that's normal or not. Probably the best thing would be to call your vet and tell them your concerns and maybe then email them the pics.

Meanwhile, here's the link to a TCS article on Spaying And Neutering – What To Look For After Surgery – TheCatSite Articles
It has some pics of both normal and infected spay incisions, which can let you compare a bit with your boy's neuter incision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MumtoFluffyMiloandPearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I see the gap you're referring to, but not sure if that's normal or not. Probably the best thing would be to call your vet and tell them your concerns and maybe then email them the pics.

Meanwhile, here's the link to a TCS article on Spaying And Neutering – What To Look For After Surgery – TheCatSite Articles
It has some pics of both normal and infected spay incisions, which can let you compare a bit with your boy's neuter incision.
Thanks for your reply. I'll keep observing the incision for a day if it gets any worse I'll call my vet then. Also my mum's a physician she told me to watch out for any yellowish discharge bcz that always certainly means infection so I'll be looking for that too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully it's all normal, and will show more signs of healing in the next day or so. Please post again, with an update, when you have one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MumtoFluffyMiloandPearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh sorry forgot to update 😅😅 but that incision was totally fine got it checked by the the vet too it was just normal healing process plus that derma gel spray was amazing in assisting the healing and now 3 weeks after the surgery there isn't even a scar of that incision it's totally gone 😀😀 and just yesterday I got my other male kitten nuetered too . I think we as pet parents just worry alot about any thing going wrong with our fur babies 😅

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's excellent. Thanks for the update.