Is my cats attraction to heat normal?…

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!, so sorry that I only post because I’m flummoxed by my cats behavior!… but I’m wondering if this is normal?… so my female (spayed) cat, Petunia Wilson Lucy Girl, aged (educated guess, 18 months) would rather spend her time on my enclosed porch. Good grief! It’s 90 degrees out there! In the house with the AC on it’s 76. It’s been in the high 90 degree range outside for the past week and isn’t cooling off anytime soon. Why does she spend all her time in the heat? She doesn’t even come in and sleep with me at night like she used to and I miss her. I’ll not force her to be inside, I just don’t get it. Any ideas?

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The inside of the house, no matter how cool, doesn’t have the sights, sounds or smells of that the porch has. And at night especially there are things flying by and probably creatures wandering through. It is a fascinating and entertaining world for a cat and being indoors just can’t compete.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The inside of the house, no matter how cool, doesn’t have the sights, sounds or smells of that the porch has. And at night especially there are things flying by and probably creatures wandering through. It is a fascinating and entertaining world for a cat and being indoors just can’t compete.
Thanks so much for the insight! That helps me feel better about it all. I know you’re right, as I’ve joined her on the porch in the evening, just wasn’t sure if was more enticing than sharing the bed. Thank you so much!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you place a cat tree inside the house by a window? That way she could still have some entertainment while cooling off in the heat of the day Try some toys also for a play session or 2 during the day If you can get her to enjoy the inside too maybe she will try sleeping in your room again

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you place a cat tree inside the house by a window? That way she could still have some entertainment while cooling off in the heat of the day Try some toys also for a play session or 2 during the day If you can get her to enjoy the inside too maybe she will try sleeping in your room again
She does have 2 cat trees inside in front of windows. Thanks for the thoughts about play time! I’ll increase that and see what happens.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby (16+ yo), until she got older spent hours on end outside on our screened in patio - in the middle of summer with temps in the 90s. She would also venture back out there after dark most evenings as well. But, we always called her in and closed the patio door and locked it before we headed to bed. I figured if she was allowed out there all day/evening long I wasn't hurting her by closing her in at night. As a result, she became very used to following us to bed and sleeping with us. Now that she is older, she still spends a lot of time on the patio - but, with many mini-A/C breaks throughout the day.

I don't know what kind of area you are in or what kind of set-up you have with this porch, but one of the reason we had Feeby come in at night was because even though we have a fenced in yard we were (rightfully) concerned about stray cats - and other critters - getting into the yard and we didn't want to take the chance of something happening or even some animal attacking her through the screen.

It's not harmful to offer your cat some treats to entice her inside and then play with her, cuddle with her, or both - whatever best suits her personality.

PWLG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Feeby (16+ yo), until she got older spent hours on end outside on our screened in patio - in the middle of summer with temps in the 90s. She would also venture back out there after dark most evenings as well. But, we always called her in and closed the patio door and locked it before we headed to bed. I figured if she was allowed out there all day/evening long I wasn't hurting her by closing her in at night. As a result, she became very used to following us to bed and sleeping with us. Now that she is older, she still spends a lot of time on the patio - but, with many mini-A/C breaks throughout the day.

I don't know what kind of area you are in or what kind of set-up you have with this porch, but one of the reason we had Feeby come in at night was because even though we have a fenced in yard we were (rightfully) concerned about stray cats - and other critters - getting into the yard and we didn't want to take the chance of something happening or even some animal attacking her through the screen.

It's not harmful to offer your cat some treats to entice her inside and then play with her, cuddle with her, or both - whatever best suits her personality.
Well good grief! Why didn’t I think of that?! Lol! Of course, what a great idea!! She accesses the porch through a cat door that I can just put the blocking part in at night. I’ve gotten such great advice from this site! Thank you so much!