Is my cat wrongly diagnosed with FPV?

josecla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I woke up yesterday, I saw that my cat has vomited multiple times. We decided to take her to a vet when we saw some blood in her vomit. The vet made blood test and took x-ray. X-ray was clean but her WBC count was too high (36.9). He said she got an infection but unfortunately he doesn't have any viral tests so we had to took the cat to another vet today. The other vet made FCOV-AG and FPV-AG tests and both were negative. Then she said test results might be fault, there are symptoms that shows the cat is FPV and she diagnosed her with FPV with no hesitation. After I got home, I made some researches and found out WBC count is generally low at cats who has FPV. I talked with first vet to have an opinion and he said they might wrongly diagnosed her. I'll go to the first vet to make a FCOV-AB test tomorrow but I'm too nervous now. Could she be wrongly diagnosed?

Also she's nursing 6 kittens so I don't know what to do about this. Should I isolate her from her kittens and feed kittens with kitten formula?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are definitely false negatives in many tests, some having higher false readings than others, both positive and negative. I do find it interesting that in the face of two negative tests your vet jumped to this conclusion. Going back to the first vet is a good move. FPV is definitely serious and has multiple symptoms, more than vomiting and some blood in the vomit although those can certainly be serious signs of something that need to be treated, FPV or not. I have not ever faced a dx of FPV personally but believe that you have to get to the bottom of this and see what is happening. As for the kittens, it is fatal to them very often and I know that sometimes kittens of a mother with FPV are born with other serious problems.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ ???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise, but I suspect your cat was mis-diagnosed.

How is she doing today? Has she vomited anymore? Is she eating and drinking? What has she been eating recently? Wet food, dry food? Is she getting enough calcium?

How old are her kittens?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont know much about distemper / FPV me either. But its higly contagious, If she has it, the kittens also have already got it... So isolation from this aspect has no big point. However, as she is sick (how is her overall status?), it may be wise for you to handraise them anyways... Or at the very least, you do prepare for this. Get home some good kmr - say, GNC or some which is based on goat milk. Otherwise KMR in powder is fine. Kittens with momma usually are reluctant for bottle, so get home a needleless syringe too.

Raw goats milk MAY help some, both for momma here, whatever her problem. It has some soothing properties and may potentially help.
And as for kittens as their kmr / part of their kmr, its nourishing and good.. Get it home if you can.

If she vomits much, its easyly happen some small blood vessel bursts, and there is some blood in the vomit. Especielly if its red blood. So this doesnt need to be THAT serious. And will depend on other symptoms.

Also, give her salts, as she loses salts vomiting much. Say, a flavorless pedialyte for babies?

You had already got the viral tests from the second vet, so keep with the first vet.

Do held some basic quarantine against outside cats. IF its distemper / FPV after all, you wont be the carrier spreading this around.
But lets hope for the best, and use treatment for symptoms and what the first vet advises you.

When I woke up yesterday, I saw that my cat has vomited multiple times. We decided to take her to a vet when we saw some blood in her vomit. The vet made blood test and took x-ray. X-ray was clean but her WBC count was too high (36.9). He said she got an infection but unfortunately he doesn't have any viral tests so we had to took the cat to another vet today. The other vet made FCOV-AG and FPV-AG tests and both were negative. Then she said test results might be fault, there are symptoms that shows the cat is FPV and she diagnosed her with FPV with no hesitation. After I got home, I made some researches and found out WBC count is generally low at cats who has FPV. I talked with first vet to have an opinion and he said they might wrongly diagnosed her. I'll go to the first vet to make a FCOV-AB test tomorrow but I'm too nervous now. Could she be wrongly diagnosed?

Also she's nursing 6 kittens so I don't know what to do about this. Should I isolate her from her kittens and feed kittens with kitten formula?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

josecla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies! She's tested positive for FCOV-AG and is diagnosed with FCOV, apparently she was wrongly diagnosed. She's much better now, didn't vomit since my first visit to the vet. We'll try to keep her immune system strong with some vitamin supplements and hope for it doesn't turn into FIP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

josecla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry, she's tested positive for FCOV-AB not AG.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for your replies! She's tested positive for FCOV-AG and is diagnosed with FCOV, apparently she was wrongly diagnosed. She's much better now, didn't vomit since my first visit to the vet. We'll try to keep her immune system strong with some vitamin supplements and hope for it doesn't turn into FIP.
Good! As I understand, this is quite common virus, and usually they get OK without big trouble. Although occasionally they may develop FIP. And FIP in full is really bad...

So I agree with you and your vitamine theraphy.
Also in this variation, raw goats milk cant hurt, may help...