Is my cat unwell?

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I'm going to make an appointment for the vet in the morning. But meanwhile i thought i may get some insights prior.

So at the annual check up, Louie (1.5 yo) was found to have a little ear infection so the vet prescribed some cleaner and drops for 2 weeks. It makes his fur greasy and dirty around the mane so after the 2 weeks we decided to bathe him.

Of course no easy task, and drying again not easy. We ended up towel drying him as best as possible and he pretty much dried up in less than 2 hours.

Fast forward a week later - we noticed he's sleeping a lot, not much playfulness than usual and not as into his food. He's alert, and will come to us for cuddles. But just not himself. I just took his weight (i weigh my cats every week or 2) and he went from 4.43kg to 4.05kg. Which is why I'm calling the vet in the morning.

But just wanted to know some thoughts - do you think he's sick? Did we traumatise him when we bathed him? He's had 3 baths his whole life, but he was shaking quite particularly this time.

I just can't sleep at the moment and figured i should ask for some thoughts. Thanks in Advance.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
To me, this sounds more like your cat is sick rather than traumatized from having been given a bath by you, his owner. Cat will take great exception to being handled or bathed, but in my experience if it is really just being angry it passes within a day or two. A week is a long time for a cat to hold a grudge, even if it were to be that.

My cats who were angry at me for one thing or another did not usually miss a meal.

You are right to recheck with the vet. Please let us know what you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the vet has taken a look and drew blood. The report says his white blood count is low so he's fighting an infection, plus a little dehydrated from lack of appetite.

He's got antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds for now so we're keeping an eye on him - but he's gotten better ish.

:)