Is my cat pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See that your mom cat gets a couple of dishes a day of kitten formula. She needs the calcium.

Feed the runt every 1-2 hours around the clock until it gets strong enough to nurse mom and puts on some weight. Wake the kitten to feed so it does not miss a feeding! Three hours between feedings is too long for a tiny kitten. This is tiring for you but a labor of love to save its life!

What does this baby weigh? It needs to gain at least 6 grams per day. Make sure the kitten stays warm between feedings with a heating pad set on low under the blanket or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and placed nearby.

Here’s a helpful syringe feeding video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady
Runty weighs 70 grams only. While the other kittens all weight 120. Should I still syringe feed even though the kitten occasionally nurses from the momcat?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, absolutely!

As I said before, this tiny kitten needs feeding every 1-2 hours around the clock. Three hours is too long between feedings. Have you not been feeding it yet?

At 70 grams, its life is hanging in the balance. It is clearly not getting enough from mom to thrive and grow. Without your help, it may not make it. You must feed whether it nurses mom or not.

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, absolutely!

As I said before, this tiny kitten needs feeding every 1-2 hours around the clock. Three hours is too long between feedings. Have you not been feeding it yet?

At 70 grams, its life is hanging in the balance. It is clearly not getting enough from mom to thrive and grow. Without your help, it may not make it. You must feed whether it nurses mom or not.
I followed your instruction to feed the kitten every two hours. :) I’ve started feeding it since yesterday morning.

I don’t know what it means but ever since I syringe fed the small kitten, momcat would randomly bring the other kittens to me, one by one.

Momcat would pant with her mouth open when she nurses the kittens. I have been following the vets instructions to give her 2.5ml of Calcium twice a day, changed her diet too to kitten wet food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also suggested that you give mom a dish or two of kitten formula daily. While nursing she needs all the calcium she can get. Is she still panting?

Are you weighing the tiny kitten daily? How much formula is he taking? Has he gained any weight yet?

Mom may want you to feed the others too. At any rate, it means she really trusts you if she brings her babies to you!

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I’ve been giving her kitten formula as well, even before she gave birth. She’d pant only for less than a minute then she’d be back to normal. I noticed when she stops panting, she’d often leave the kittens and stay away from them, maybe to rest? Then she’d yo back again after a couple of minutes.

Yes, as well. The small kitten gained 5grams from yesterday. The rest of the kittens have gained 10 grams. One gained 15 grams.

Apologies for the trouble. I do appreciate your responses. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No trouble at all! It’s wonderful that the kitten has gained 5 grams! With a kitten this small, the gains will be smaller than with the bigger siblings. I hope he continues to gain daily and get stronger. Do keep us posted!

Moms need breaks. As the kittens get bigger she’ll take longer breaks - up to an hour even. As long as she goes back to the kittens, all is well. :lovecat2: