Is my cat pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oliviaqj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need advice! Just weighted the babies and 5/6 gained 8-9 grams since yesterday. One baby only gained 3! Is it time to begin extra feedings and intervention ?! What should I do

oliviaqj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need advice! Just weighted the babies and 5/6 gained 8-9 grams since yesterday. One baby only gained 3! Is it time to begin extra feedings and intervention ?! What should I do
worth noting- lightest baby is 124grams.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The lightest baby is already 4 ounces, so doing well so far. Four ounces is the goal weight for a one-week old. However, if any kitten does not gain at all, or loses weight for more than one day, definitely supplement right away. .

oliviaqj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning- all kittens are doing well and gaining about 15-20 grams a day. Raven is doing well, eating and drinking etc. My main concern is she has given birth 5 days ago and is still having runny poop. Sometimes it is at least slightly solid, but other times it’s essentially completely liquid. Is this something to be concerned about?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not at this point. It’s the hormones in her system adjusting, plus she consumes the babies’ wastes when she cleans them, and she probably ate all the placentas.

How much kitten formula is she drinking daily? More than one or two small servings can cause soft / runny poop in adult cats. If it’s more than that, pull back and you’ll see a change.

Otherwise, if her diet is the same, just give her time.

oliviaqj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello- officially one week post birth and raven is still having diarrhea. I have pulled back completely on the formula with no change. Is this still normal? She’s alright otherwise.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry to hear this. She should be having firmer stools by now. Speak to your vet. She may need medication.

oliviaqj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
0CF2114B-DD33-4660-95E0-57A4C9A644FB.jpeg

The kittens are officially 2 weeks old today. They are gaining about 10-20 grams a day each. One baby is missing from this picture, we have our hands full ! Just looking for some advice for the next coming weeks as they get bigger. When is it time to introduce wet food/ solid food? How do I got about litter training etc?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try to feed some solid stuff as soon as you think they'll try. Maybe 4 weeks or so? Don't be surprised if they won't eat it, but if they do, it makes life a lot easier on you. A sloppy mush made of KMR and some pate wet food is a good start, or maybe chicken baby food with no additives. Give 'em a bit on your finger to see if they're interested and lead them to the dish. If you can get them to lap up KMR from a dish beforehand, that will give you a jump on the solid food.

Flat dishes like a saucer are a good starter cat dish for solid food. It's gonna be messy for a while, too.

As for the box, don't use clumping litter because they may try eating it. Kitties also will sometimes use the litter box for a playpen.

You might put some cat scat in the litter to encourage them to use it. If it smells like a litterbox, it's more likely to be used as such. The kittens might need some instruction in digging. You can scratch a little hole and put kitty over it, or you might try moving her paw in a digging motion to make a hole of her own.

They generally will get the hang of it fairly fast.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their digestive systems aren't ready for solids until they have teeth, so don't try before that (they probably wouldn't eat it before then anyway). With mother-raised kittens, there's no hurry really. When they start showing interest in her food you can give them their own dish. Canned food mixed with KMR to make a soupy mush is a good first food.

Once they're eating solids the mom won't want to clean up after them anymore, so that's when you introduce the litterbox. Usually the mama teaches them how to use it but some kittens need extra lessons (if they do: keep them in an enclosed area, put them in the box after naps and meals, make them curious by scratching in the litter yourself).

Be sure to keep them with their mother and littermates until 12-14 weeks. They learn a lot in those last few weeks and will be more well-adjusted if they stay longer.

oliviaqj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2906AD9B-8669-45B1-B035-0586BBC43272.jpeg
A4F3E07C-B3F5-4D18-B805-746F41EAD4AF.jpeg

Good morning- Kittens are gaining well. 2 and a half weeks old and all six kittens are within 360-380 grams. I noticed blonde baby has eye crust last 2 days. Does this look concerning and what should I do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gently wipe the eyes with a warm damp cloth. Keep them wiped clear.

If you see yellow or green pus you’ll need a tube of terramycin antibiotic ointment. It quickly clears eye infections, which are not uncommon in kittens. Terramycin is available from Chewy or your vet.