Is my cat pregnant?

InkFks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently adopted a cat from some people who were rehoming her about two weeks ago. She was a good, normal weight after we got her and since then she has always spent time with us, liking to be sleeping right beside us constantly. She sleeps often and eats normally while still getting used to our other two cats. Our two cats are fixed but this new one is not.
When we adopted her, we were aware that there was a male in the house but the owners didn't tell us if he was fixed or not. We know she is 2-3 years old and we know she had previous owners as well but know nothing about them.
I went to text the people we got her from and they have me blocked, which is very strange to me and Im wondering if they knew she might be pregnant or else I have no other reason why they would.

Here are some pictures of her, I heard that cats can pink up and I was wondering if this looks like that? She has gained weight since we received her but not a whole ton.

Please give your opinions and help us out. My father is a dog breeder but is no help when I asked about the cat! lol.
Thanks
photo_2020-05-24_21-56-25.jpg photo_2020-05-24_21-56-26 (2).jpg photo_2020-05-24_21-56-26.jpg photo_2020-05-24_21-56-27.jpg

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The easiest way to differentiate between a fat cat and a pregnant cat (without a vet) is where the weight is. If she has a heavier belly but you can still easily feel her ribs and spine shes prob pregnant. It is easier to determine with the cat standing and taking a top view and a side view photos.
The gestation for a cat is roughly 2 months.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest a vet check up and thoughts about if you wanna spay now or not. Kittens are alot of work and very costly to. Plus there are always potential health problems that can happen. If she is pregnant she is very early on so you can spay her now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do think she is pregnant, especially as she is not spayed. Do you want kittens? If not, now is the time to spay. Her nipples look like classic pregnant nipples! :)

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My best guess is that shes pregnant. Now you have to ask yourself if you really want kittens, its more mouths to feed, more vet bills, more mess and more work, even if you decide to sell/give away the kittens (but thats a whole other topic). I'm not saying that its not worth it but you need to be sure its right for you. Pregnant queens should also be on kitten food pretty much until the kits are weaned, then the kittens should be on kitten food for about a year. If you don't want kittens, a spay/abort is one option, it is higher risk than a normal spay and often more expensive (the surgery takes longer and more materials can be used) and a conversation with your vet would be in order.
I went to school to be a vet tech and worked at an SPCA so ive seen quite a bit- if you have any questions just ask!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

InkFks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we got her, the people didn’t tell us she was pregnant!
We are totally ready and prepared to have the kittens in our home.
Would just like some people on here’s opinion on how far along she is and maybe when to expect kittens.
Thanks! 183103EB-AB71-46BF-87E0-A0B3F7F0D21A.jpeg 8F632C21-A2AB-4FE5-BBE5-E7A94CF99A84.jpeg 3755CAA2-2404-48D6-B77A-9D28B646668E.jpeg

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When did you get her? She doesn't look far along at all to me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks young. How old is she?

Have you seen or felt kitten movement yet? Once you do it’s usually a couple more weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

InkFks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted an update a few weeks ago. But it didn’t get a whole lot of replies. So!
I’m posting again.
This is my cat, Kitzo.
we got her from some people who didn’t tell us anything about her and just kind of put her in my passenger seat and ran off.
My father is a vet and is helping me out a little but he lives far away.
So I thought it would be nice to get some outside opinions.
Here is a picture. How far along do you think she is? And how long until her babies come?
please, let me know! 62D2EC19-7A83-4120-B0F1-DA32E34FEACA.jpeg

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
She's adorable!
I'm not entirely sure but it seems like she is over a month! My guess would be 5 or 6 weeks.
A cat's pregnancy lasts around 2 months, but they could come a bit earlier or a bit later. I would say that she still has a few more weeks, perhaps anywhere from 2-4 weeks.
Are you planning to spay her after this litter?
Are there any other pictures? 🙂

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats often "pink up" around day 21, and you posted pictures of her pink nipples on May 24... How long was she showing pregnancy signs before then?

Edited to add: I see you got her on May 4, and if she's been indoors at your house, we can assume the mating would have happened before then... probably at least a few days before May 4, if she wasn't showing signs of heat when you got her, and maybe even earlier than that. So you should see kittens around the first week of July, or possibly sooner.

Last edited: