Is my cat pregnant or not?

Jammerdance10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she pregnant? It looks like her nipples are pink and her stomach is getting big, but I'm not sure
IMG_6515.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she pregnant? It looks like her nipples are pink and her stomach is getting big, but I'm not sure
View attachment 461990
If she mated with a stud, as I suppose she had, this is the probable. :) False pregnancies arent that common. It happens the mating didnt "took", but if you see clearly there are changes, presume there ARE changes.

Teats become reddish after about 3 weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you breed her? Or was it a random mating? Do you know when the last heat or mating occurred?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jammerdance10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, yes, I have a male and female Maine Coon. I wanted to try to have kittens, but after they mated, she was bleeding from her private area. Her behavior has changed significantly since then. She eats a lot, sleeps a lot, and has become much friendlier than before. Unfortunately, I don't remember when they mated, so I don't know when she will give birth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mating is very painful for female cats, as the male penis has sharp barbs on it. This probably caused her bleeding.

It does sound like she may be pregnant. You can have an ultrasound done now, or wait until she is further along for an x-ray.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, yes, I have a male and female Maine Coon. I wanted to try to have kittens, but after they mated, she was bleeding from her private area. Her behavior has changed significantly since then. She eats a lot, sleeps a lot, and has become much friendlier than before. Unfortunately, I don't remember when they mated, so I don't know when she will give birth
These symptoms are common with pregnancy...
The teats redden up quite typically ond day 21, so its your chance to get a new count on when exactly the mating was, and thus, how long the pregnancy will probably be.