Is My Cat Pregnant? Or Is She Sick?

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this is my cat, Zombie. She’s about 16 months old. She’s an indoor cat, but at night we let her (and our spayed male cat, Attack) stay at the laundry area, where their cat litter is. A number of times in September and October, we wake up in the morning and see them both already in the neighbor’s roof (they have an unspayed male cat, Tots). Now, in November, we just noticed her nipples swelling up (but milk is not leaking), and she developed a round, pooched lower belly (as you can see in the photo). I’ve tried to feel her tummy if there were babies, sometimes there were subtle movements, sometimes, there’s none. Anyway, we’re all convinced that she’s pregnant. She seems to feel very sleepy often, and sits on a way so that she wouldn’t put pressure on her belly. The latest thing that’s been going through with her, however, is that she’s been having a yellowish vaginal discharge with blood on it. I can upload a photo, if you guys want. That gave me second thoughts about her being pregnant. Can there be something wrong? I’ve read about Pyometra in cats, but isn’t she too young for that? She’s only been in heat a few times. I would love to hear your take on this!

PS : She has always had a healthy appetite. Although her usual meal is cat food, she still eats everything you give her (even fruits and vegetables). However, she’s always been a naturally small and thin cat.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much discharge are you seeing? I think she needs to see a vet asap. She can be pregnant and have an infection.

Can you fix the laundry room so they stay inside? It's not safe for them to go out anymore.

And can you talk to your neighbor about neutering their cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response! Here’s her vaginal discharge last night. She’s not had a discharge this morning. I’m gonna bring her to the vet asap.

About the neighbor, they don’t really pay attention to their cat. They don’t even feed it and just let it stray along the neigborhood :( I doubt they’d be willing to pay to have their cat neutered.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who feeds the cat? Could you take him in and have him neutered? If he’s neglected, he needs help.

Is there any odor to the discharge?

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sisters and I feed the neighbor’s cat. The cat won’t let us touch himself though, he gets aggressive. He just gets the food (like fish) and leaves right away.

About my cat’s discharge, there’s really no strong smell to it. Are cats as young as 16 mos. already prone to Pyometra?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Every heat has a risk of pyometria. Spaying by 3-4 months is recommended.

Can you get a humane trap and get the poor male to a vet? Poor guy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks pregnant, but it could be pyometra, or both.

Yellow discharge indicates infection, so get her to the vet tomorrow. The blood is worrisome too. She'll need antibiotics.

Have the vet do an x-ray to see if she's pregnant and if so, how far along she may be.

If it's pyometra, the antibiotics will help until she is spayed and/or spayed after she has her kittens.

Keep us posted!

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks pregnant, but it could be pyometra, or both.

Yellow discharge indicates infection, so get her to the vet tomorrow. The blood is worrisome too. She'll need antibiotics.

Have the vet do an x-ray to see if she's pregnant and if so, how far along she may be.

If it's pyometra, the antibiotics will help until she is spayed and/or spayed after she has her kittens.

Keep us posted!
Thank you for the info! Can’t bring her to the vet until my mom arrives from work this evening, tho :( No other symptoms are showing except for the discharge. She’s been eating big as she always does and still very energetic.

Update: We took this photo just now! Really hard to believe that she’s not pregnant.

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is clearly pregnant, but as we said, something could be wrong in addition.

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's super knocked-up. Is there a reason why you didn't get her fixed?
Hi!! Actually, we had our male cat neutered a few months ago so he could no longer impregnate Zombie. We were planning to have Zombie neutered on December since it’s kinda expensive in here. Never actually knew it’s best to have female cats spayed around 3-4 months!!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!! Actually, we had our male cat neutered a few months ago so he could no longer impregnate Zombie. We were planning to have Zombie neutered on December since it’s kinda expensive in here. Never actually knew it’s best to have female cats spayed around 3-4 months!!
You might still want to see with a spay/neuter clinic if they can spay her. It's common to spay gestating females, but I'm not sure when the gestation is too advanced to do that. Here it's around 50 bucks to do it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is close to delivery. I think it's too late at this point, unless it's a medical emergency. The vet will tell you more tomorrow.

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SHE JUST GAVE BIRTH!!!!! ONE KITTEN OUT!!! Thank you guys so much!!!!

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is moving but is not crying? Is that normal?

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah!! They’re okay now actually! :) Should I leash my male cat in the meantime? He’s a very nice and friendly cat but I’m afraid he might hurt the kittens for some reason.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So her discharge was probably her mucus plug. She may not have infection after all. Just keep an eye on her.

How many kittens has she had so far?

Keep mom and babies in a room of their own away from your male cat for now, such as your bedroom. Put her food, water, and litter in the room with her too.

thezombiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So her discharge was probably her mucus plug. She may not have infection after all. Just keep an eye on her.

How many kittens has she had so far?

Keep mom and babies in a room of their own away from your male cat for now, such as your bedroom. Put her food, water, and litter in the room with her too.
Noted! She has 2 kittens, still. I’m not really sure if she’ll have more! :blush: