Is my cat pregnant or is sh back in heat?

aroles1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 8 cats and 2 females are not fixed. Well we live in my grandmother in laws basement in an apartment. Over a 2 week period we left our cats roam around on the basement side. My parent in laws live next door had unfixed males and one managed to slip into the house when we didn't know and stayed on our ceiling over christmas. Well I caught him on new year's at 2am in the morning. Since then we have made sure our unfixed females remained inside. A few days later on 1/4 i notice she was acting different. She wasn't meowing like she was in heat (which she has done for 4 months). I waited a few days after looking up about cat pregnancy. She was quiet and not acting in heat anymore. Which estimated he hit it up the week of Christmas. So I prepared her extra food and she began to fill out for an entire 2 months it's been about 65 days and no kittens yet. A few days before she began to follow me around like a shadow and never let me out of her sight. I just caught my unfixed male trying to give her some today. This worries me cuz even though I didn't expect her to get pregnant but I don't want her to lose them either. (Mainly cuz i can't have kids myself). I attached the most recent picture of her from above. She's a skinny cat on a regular basis before this. Should i get her checked out by the vet?

Overall she ate, gained the weight, healthy. Only thing I noticed was her nipples didn't pinken up at all. But they are a bit droopy.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like you were lucky this time and she didn't get pregnant. Is there any reason why you haven't had all of your cats fixed yet? We can help you find a low cost spay and neuter clinic if you need one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aroles1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every time we want to one of the others got sick and needed to go to the vets. But shes barreled out like a pregnant cat should. But I'm a pro-life so I didn't want to get her fixed if she was and kill the Unborn. I'm so confused.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Please fix any who are intact. It doesn't only prevent unwanted pregnancy but also eliminates some cancers such as testicular cancer (males) and ovarian and uterine cancer (females) also reduces brest cancers.

aroles1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are going to. Just like I said every time we wanted to another cat needed to go to the vets. She never went into heat until a few months ago and she will be 2 years old in october.we have a couple people who were looking for kittens so was a win win either way

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If that is a recent picture you posted I think it's unlikely that she is pregnant. A vet will be able to tell for sure. They can examine her and let you know if she is going to have kittens. As IndyJones IndyJones said, there are lots of health risks for unfixed cats, so if she isn't pregnant this time it would be a good idea to get her fixed while you can.

I can understand you not wanting to abort any kittens. However, millions of unwanted pets are put down every year in the US, so asking the people who were interested in your kittens to adopt from a shelter will save lives.

:)

A few links you could check here.

Nardecchia Spay Neuter Fund -
SNAP Home
Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinics | Centre County PAWS
HSCC Humane Society of Cambria County (Johnstown) &gt Pennsylvania No Kill Animal Shelters

aroles1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well money is tight right now with bills. But we are planning to get them fix we never intended for them to get pregnant at all. All the shelters here are unreasonable and don't care for the animals. My husband got a dog a long time ago that was from the shelter and he became mean. I know the risks. But when you work low income jobs it's hard. Ii went from having a good job to only working 20hrs a week so my husband is paying all the bills which should change hopefully soon. Because I was working at a better job then we were able to get them fixed but since ive been at the other place the past couple years haven't had enough to get them fixed.

She's not showing signs of heat. Our fixed male normally hits it up with our younger female instead of the one who we believe was pregnant. But I'll get her checked if nothing happens in next few days.

aroles1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Normally she is a very independent cat and very skinny. But you can tell she's rounded up more than the hips. Her hips have always been that way.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well money is tight right now with bills. But we are planning to get them fix we never intended for them to get pregnant at all.
Yes, I can understand that. It is very expensive to get pets fixed, but the links I posted offer discounts, so it shouldn't be too unreasonable. A litter of kittens costs a lot more if you think about extra food, KMR, vet examines and possible emergencies like a c-section, so it's always better to avoid those expenses if you can.

I just took this one here. Her nipples are just starting to get pinker.
She may look a little more rounded than you're used to her being, but couldn't that be from the extra food you've been giving her? I don't think she's anywhere near big enough to be 65 days pregnant.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right. Its not unheard of they behave like in heat while high preg, and thus, may get mated if there is someone to mate. So if you are sure she is high preg, with perhaps just 2 kittens, so she may be yes. She perhaps has dropped, and thus is less obvious preg at this moment? Did you felt the kittens move? Do you still feel them move (NOW they move less and further down then earlier).

But on the pic she doesnt looks high preg! Sooner a fully normal cat. If she was visibly preggy, she must either had absorbed them, or had an spontan abortion at some time, without you noticing. (they usually ate the aborted foetuses, so owner often doesnt notice anything save a wet spot). OR so she had dropped.