Is my cat part Bengal?

Sammyd38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently been wondering if my male 1 year old cat is part bengal. He has very large paws front and back, extremely long, and an interesting pattern. He’s very very tough has been boxing with my German Shepard since he was a kitten.
EB604731-1AB1-4D39-AA07-54F5F51D4A95.png
882FC7C2-5CDE-47E1-9C56-F591EDD65F22.jpeg
D2544629-8005-4B6E-8413-0D884EAE3F50.jpeg
8CA93254-F6F8-4882-8A39-B18A139706AE.jpeg
B46A770A-E027-4ECB-AAD9-12B1E0E60535.jpeg
3462D337-1BD4-4102-B713-963012177924.jpeg
0C6F9A9F-F168-49C5-87D2-2FF197596D3F.jpeg
924B878C-2462-4F35-8714-DEE6563A6251.jpeg
3FDD3DFA-95BD-48B8-B07F-25742FB90279.jpeg
C033489E-7CD2-4AFD-B3A1-1541998C976B.jpeg
D4A5F06A-3812-4531-ABA6-768CB6ED2BF3.jpeg
8F25E4DF-B653-4AB4-B3B0-D9B52E2AB643.jpeg
EB604731-1AB1-4D39-AA07-54F5F51D4A95.png

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya! what a pretty kitty! I’d describe him as a gray, or perhaps gray brown field (I.e. that he’s largely a colder colour on his body, rather than a warm brown) brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair! He has the typical stripes and vest buttons on his tum (I.e. the spots) and the M marking on his forehead.

Nothing about his pattern or conformation evokes Bengal to me, personally. Even high generation bengals, like F5s, will still have markings distinct to the Bengal breed, namely rosetting or marbling. Bengals are descended from domestic cat crosses of the Asian leopard cat, so, especially in early generations, they’re reminiscent of their wild ancestors.

Unlike in dogs, the development of cat breeds is a fairly modern phenomenon. As such, most cats are no specific breed, and have no particular breed in their ancestry, either.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His ear shape with the curved inner edge and rounded tips, ears wide apart on his head, his muzzle and jowl shape and the big heavy toes that hide the bigger Bengal claws and all black paw pads are pretty obvious. If you compare his claw size to your other cats they will be a lot bigger and more hooked. The eye shape and smallish head and the short dense fur are good indicators too.
I would say he has Bengal in his not to distant past.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't see any Bengal in him either for the same reasons which Maurey Maurey mentioned.

Being larger is no indication of any breed. Lots of domestic cats are big. There is always a size range in any animal and the OP's cat just happens to fall on the bigger end of it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His ear shape with the curved inner edge and rounded tips, ears wide apart on his head, his muzzle and jowl shape and the big heavy toes that hide the bigger Bengal claws and all black paw pads are pretty obvious. If you compare his claw size to your other cats they will be a lot bigger and more hooked. The eye shape and smallish head and the short dense fur are good indicators too.

Paw pad color is related to coat color. Bengals can have paw pads other than black.

And the M is just indicative of being a tabby. Lots of cat breeds have an M on their forehead. You can even find ghost markings of this on solid cats especially when they are kittens.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a handsome cat!

I would describe your cat as a brown (black-based) tabby domestic shorthair. He has a "broken mackerel" tabby pattern, with some stripes and some spots.

Broken mackerel is a pattern we see frequently in the domestic cat, and in general, the presence of spots on a cat doesn't indicate Bengal ancestry. However, this cat does have some large triangular shaped spots on his flanks that suggest to me that he might possibly have a Bengal ancestor. The spots in this area don't look like typical broken mackerel spots:

0C6F9A9F-F168-49C5-87D2-2FF197596D3F.jpeg B46A770A-E027-4ECB-AAD9-12B1E0E60535.jpeg

Other than these slightly atypical spots, I'm not seeing a strong resemblance to the Bengal breed in these pictures. The grayish and heavily ticked ground color of the coat is more typical of domestic shorthairs without breed ancestry, not typical of Bengals. Other features mentioned in this thread such as black paw pads, rounded ears, big feet, etc. aren't specific to the Bengal breed. Head type of this cat doesn't scream Bengal to me, but it's hard to say anything about head type, as there are a lot of different head styles in Bengals.
can you go by coat color and markings alone??
No, you can't go by coat color and markings alone. However, many of the physical traits that you see in Bengals also appear in domestic cats in general, and don't necessarily indicate Bengal ancestry. Bengals do not have extreme head or body type like an Oriental breed or Persian. Nearly any cat COULD be part Bengal... but statistically, most cats aren't, even if they have some physical features similar to Bengals. Because most lines of Bengals are intensely bred for color and markings that don't appear in other domestic cats, color and markings are a good place to look for clues.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even high generation bengals, like F5s, will still have markings distinct to the Bengal breed, namely rosetting or marbling. Bengals are descended from domestic cat crosses of the Asian leopard cat, so, especially in early generations, they’re reminiscent of their wild ancestors.
Rosetted / marbled patterns are more typical of high generation Bengals with many generations of Bengal breeding behind them, rather than early generation hybrids. The Asian Leopard Cat itself has smaller spots and less rosetting than most Bengals we see in the show hall today. Bengals have been selectively bred for large rosettes and dramatic marbling over many generations.

Kittehmummy76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t help with your question because I’m here asking a similar question, but I wanted to say what a beautiful kitty he is!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF we decide his body shapes and details are typical for a bengal ancestry, its easy to explain why he hasnt no spots nor marbles. Classic tabby, and thus, marbled, is recessive to mackerel / broken mackerel.
IF he has a parentage of both, say a broken mackerel moggie momma and a marbled benga or half bengal daddy, he would be a carrier of both marbled and mackerel, but himself be a broken mackerel tabby.

Im not sure how its with spotted ( rosetted) and mackerel; which is the dominant here in this pair. But lets not complicate; and pretend an marbled Ancestor.

Ps. I know there are also regular spotted Bengals. Not that common, its not fancy, but they are legally registered and you can see them sometimes on Shows. They will hardly won over the more fancied types, but they will get their Excellent, no problem.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rosetted / marbled patterns are more typical of high generation Bengals with many generations of Bengal breeding behind them, rather than early generation hybrids. The Asian Leopard Cat itself has smaller spots and less rosetting than most Bengals we see in the show hall today. Bengals have been selectively bred for large rosettes and dramatic marbling over many generations.
Ah? So the regular spotted Bengals we sometimes see on the Shows, are not necessarily a less fancy type of Bengals, but quite the opposite, they may be the real thing; an early generation of Bengal?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He’s very very tough has been boxing with my German Shepard since he was a kitten.
Im not sure this detail shows how brave and competitive he is. I think it sooner proves how friendly and kind your German Shepard is... :)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah? So the regular spotted Bengals we sometimes see on the Shows, are not necessarily a less fancy type of Bengals, but quite the opposite, they may be the real thing; an early generation of Bengal?
Yep..you getting it.
And to add to that the many subspieces with different coloring and markings of Leopard Cats the foundation cats can be bred from, ones from Northern China and Siberia (Silver or blue or white to the tropical cats to Singapore region and India
This one from Tsushima Island
800px-Tsushima_Cat_001.jpg

Note the long fur.

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will depend on the other parts of the pedigree. A Bengal with mostly spots rather than rosettes might come from a breeder who doesn't emphasize rosettes in their breeding program, and/or it might be part of an early generation (EG) breeding program.

Historically, if you look back to the first generations of Bengal breeding (early breed history) you will see more spotted cats and smaller rosettes. It took many generations and a lot of selective breeding to achieve the large, flashy rosettes we see today. Today, since the majority of Bengals are rosetted (or marbled), you'll also see rosetting in EG cats, because even when an ALC outcross is used, most of the pedigree is going to be later generation Bengal. But some breeders don't emphasize rosettes as much as others.

This is an example of an EG cat from a breeding program that doesn't place as high of a priority on rosetting as some breeders. This particular cat is a 2nd generation Bengal with a Malaysian ALC grandparent. Picture is from this breeder's site, Bengal cat Breeder, Northern California (their web site is definitely worth browsing if you are interested in Bengals):

kadou-5.jpg

The existence of spotted EG Bengals doesn't mean that every spotted cat out there is likely to be an EG Bengal, however!!! :)
MOST Bengals are bred for flashy rosettes (or Bengal style marbling, or other patterns you would never see in a domestic cat).
MOST spotted cats without rosettes don't have Bengal ancestry.