Is my cat overweight?

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgive me if this is a stupid question! I keep reading articles on how to tell if your cat is overweight and sometimes I think Zyla needs to lose weight then other times I’m not sure. Here are a few pics. I know she isn’t obese but I would like her to be at a good weight. When I adopted her last year she was 8 pounds and I could feel all the bones in her back. I can kinda feel them but much less than before and her tibs are hard to find. From above I see a waist but I guess there’s also some roundness lol

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is hard to tell from those pics, but see if this chart with tips (at the bottom of the chart) would help you to make a determination
Body-Condition-Feline-Chart.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It is hard to tell from those pics, but see if this chart with tips (at the bottom of the chart) would help you to make a determinationView attachment 376049.
Thank you! I think zyla is a 6-7 if i view her from the side. I've started to do timed meals and im counting her calories now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Determine how many calories she was eating before you reduce her food, just so you have a starting point, and it might not hurt to start weighing her weekly as well. Cats shouldn't really lose any more than a pound in a month - ideally a little less than that. So, you want to keep an eye on her weight to ensure she doesn't lose weight too fast.

A general rule of thumb is that most cats can sustain their weight with 20 - 25 calories per pound of body weight. So, if Zyla weighs 8 pounds now, she could continue to sustain that between 160 and 200 calories a day. This is just a basic guideline, as all cats don't fit into this little equation. That is why it is good to know where she is at now before you begin a diet. Also, if you find she is eating, for example, 250 calories now, the best way to reduce it is by starting at a 10% reduction, meaning only going down 25 calories a day to start. And, then monitoring her to see how the 25 calorie reduction affects her weight. You can then lower it again after a week or two, as needed.

The gradual calorie reduction will not only help Zyla's body adjust to the lesser calories, but it will help her 'mentally' get used to eating less over time as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Determine how many calories she was eating before you reduce her food, just so you have a starting point, and it might not hurt to start weighing her weekly as well. Cats shouldn't really lose any more than a pound in a month - ideally a little less than that. So, you want to keep an eye on her weight to ensure she doesn't lose weight too fast.

A general rule of thumb is that most cats can sustain their weight with 20 - 25 calories per pound of body weight. So, if Zyla weighs 8 pounds now, she could continue to sustain that between 160 and 200 calories a day. This is just a basic guideline, as all cats don't fit into this little equation. That is why it is good to know where she is at now before you begin a diet. Also, if you find she is eating, for example, 250 calories now, the best way to reduce it is by starting at a 10% reduction, meaning only going down 25 calories a day to start. And, then monitoring her to see how the 25 calorie reduction affects her weight. You can then lower it again after a week or two, as needed.

The gradual calorie reduction will not only help Zyla's body adjust to the lesser calories, but it will help her 'mentally' get used to eating less over time as well.
Thank you for the advice! I will def do that