Is my cat overweight?

natlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I have a 5 month and 17 day old cat, and he's 8.6 pounds. I've read at a few websites that kittens his age are meant to be about 4-5 pounds. He is a DSH. Please help, I want to make sure he's healthy. I can feel his ribs and he looks like a good weight, but his age and weight don't match at all.

Attachments

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
He looks fine to me, but I'm not a vet. My 6 month old kitten is 7 pounds, I was told and that seems to be average so maybe he's a little chunkier? But he doesn't look obese or anything like that, at least not to me. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but he looks like a good looking cat to me

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looks fine to me. This chart will give you a better idea.
I couldnt cut and paste. The first chart is the one to look at so ignore the rest.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he looks fine. A cat's potential healthy weight is a wide range, depending on the cat. They're different sizes just like people. And you don't want to under-feed a growing cat as long as you're feeding healthy, protein-rich cat food.

However, if he hasn't been to a vet to get checked out, now is the perfect age for that. Only they can tell you for sure if he's developing properly and make sure everything is up to date with his health. He's a beautiful boy!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orange boys tend to have bigger statures. He doesn't look overweight to me.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi natlove and welcome to the forum !

"Overweight", "underweight" or "ideal weight"..........none of these have anything to do with age.

It's all about body condition............

I can't be sure from the pics you've posted........see if you can decide from the chart - pay careful attention to the descriptions, so you can learn the specific differences to look for.

Then you might post a couple of new pictures, mimicking the chart, and tell us what you've decided.....or, that you're still unsure.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He doesn't look overweight to me.

Some cats are just larger. The one pound per month guideline is really just a very general average and easy guideline. It shouldn't be taken as a rule about growth. Based on his current weight I'd say you boy will end up being 14-16 pounds when full grown which is at the larger end of normal. My cat is 14.5 to 15 pounds normally and was a little lighter then your cat at that age...

20200125_141419.jpg

I wouldn't worry about weight until he has stopped growing. They can go through spurts when growing where they look chunky or look too skinny. Once your boy is no longer add inches to height or length he is done growing and that is when to worry about weight. Since he is so large now, there is a chance he will continue growing after 12 months old. Even when he is full grown remember that body condition is more important than weight. My girl is health at 7.5 pounds and would be absolutely obscenely obese at 14 pounds, my boy would be emancipated at 7.5 pounds. Both are healthy weights for their bodies.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 4-month-old kitten that is 5.10lbs lol, but she's not obese and because she plays so much she can get a bit skinny so we have to give her extra treats. (You can really feel her spine sometimes so yah skinny quite quickly, she is raw fed though so doesnt really keep on the pounds as easily as if she was on dry). My boys are over 12lbs at over one year old, but were 6.7 and 7.7 lbs at 4 months old haha. But you do want to watch their weight once they reach 6 months old. Some people think kittens cant get fat.. well one of my old fosters can tell you, YES kittens can get overweight. He was fed 6 cans of fancy feast a day, then cut down to 4, now it's 2 1/2 to 3 depending on calories. He LOVES FOOD. But as you can see from this pic, yah fat older kittens do exist and not all can be fed as much as they want lol.

skylark (8).jpg

Julielynn88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He don't look over weight at all, he is just going to be a big cat. I ask my vet every time I'm in if my cat needs to lay off the treats, and he tells me no he is purrfect 😁 he is almost 3 years old and weighs 14lb but he is a large cat

Attachments