Is my cat overweight? Pictures.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The weight looks OK to me, but the vet is the one to appreciate it.
From my experience, cat owners have a special feeling, which goes beyond science :-). So if you suspect that your cat is obese, this is something to look closer at, regardless of the measurement results.

===

All dry food has carbohydrates, and maybe too much.
I won't care much about proteins, cats can regulate their intake, but I would worry a lot about carbohydrates.
Cats cant control carbohydrates and can easily get insulin resistance - which one may call the first stage of diabetes.
This first stage can go silent for years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SamAPCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The weight looks OK to me, but the vet is the one to appreciate it.
From my experience, cat owners have a special feeling, which goes beyond science :-). So if you suspect that your cat is obese, this is something to look closer at, regardless of the measurement results.

===

All dry food has carbohydrates, and maybe too much.
I won't care much about proteins, cats can regulate their intake, but I would worry a lot about carbohydrates.
Cats cant control carbohydrates and can easily get insulin resistance - which one may call the first stage of diabetes.
This first stage can go silent for years.
Well, luckily the dry food I use is known to have relatively low carbs. I’m definitely going to ask about her weight next time she goes to the vet, and i’ll probably bring in a sample just to give me some assurance.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever Casper goes to the vet we almost always take a stool sample whenever there is available.

Most of the time, they just do the float test and examine via microscope. Like I said, a vet who knows what to look for can tell if there are parasites just by looking or else will be able to say that a PCR should also be done. The important thing is whether the vet knows your cat’s history and has experience in diagnosing parasites. Most vets are proficient.

You can often just take a sample from the litter box using a plastic bag then double wrap it in another baggie. You can also get a little, plastic test tube from your vet that is designed for stool sample collection. Ask your vet for one then save it for the next time you go to the vet.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orijen can be too much for some cats, and it is average in carbs. I would try giving her some wet food, as wet food is important to cats. Dry food isn't the best for them. Dr Elsey's is really good as it's low in carbs. Ziwi peak as well. Check out catfooddb.com it has a massive list of cat foods to try. It could be from the food for sure.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat can not take 100% protein food. He vomits right away. But the meal frequency also counts.
The frequency is a disputed matter.

===
I feed a mixed diet:
50% wet - 50% dry - roughly.
The wet meals are 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. The dry ones - at will rest of the time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most dry food is not good for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores meaning their primary diet in the wild is protein, mice, insects, birds, rodents. A wet food diet high in protein is best for all kitties at all stages. If you feed dry, feed a grain-free, high quality food. We feed mostly wet, but supplement with a little dry food, but it's grain free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SamAPCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most dry food is not good for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores meaning their primary diet in the wild is protein, mice, insects, birds, rodents. A wet food diet high in protein is best for all kitties at all stages. If you feed dry, feed a grain-free, high quality food. We feed mostly wet, but supplement with a little dry food, but it's grain free.
yeah, that was our idea with using orijen. We can’t really feed wet food, so buying the highest quality dry food is the next best option