Is My Cat Neutered??

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a cat from a shelter about 10 days ago. They said he's neutered. It's written on his documents as 'Gender - Male, Sterilized'. He was a stray prior to being in the shelter. No ear clipping or tattoo. (graphic ahead) Seems to have testicles in-tact. In fact I'm 98% certain that there's no way this is a post-op scrotum, despite not feeling the area thoroughly (and we both hope I don't have to do that). Maybe he was sterilized through vasectomy? That seems unlikely. He has a wide face/typical jowls in addition to a thick neck. He's very affectionate and cuddly rather than aggressive and has not sprayed at all. I've never seen him hiss or act threateningly. However he meows/yowls loudly out the window often and he scratches things. He doesn't have an interest in going outside though, even when the door is open. Which is it? I'm a little lost because of all the conflicting evidence. It seems like he's probably not neutered, is how I feel. Is there anything else I should check before I jump to the conclusion that the paperwork is wrong? I will definitely ask when I take him to the vet for the first time, but I'd like to figure this out before then if possible...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just poke his sack, lol. Just one finger, give it a poke. You don't have to do any extensive groping. If he's neutered it'll be soft and empty, just fur and skin. If he's intact it will feel like he has gummy marbles in there. Haha, yes, I know gummy marbles aren't a thing, but they will be about the density of gummies and the shape of marbles. If he was neutered late his sack will have stretched out and it can look like he's still entire. Is it on his papers if the shelter had him neutered or if he came to the shelter that way?

Also, what does his litterbox smell like? Tomcats have the strongest-smelling urine.