Is My Cat Going Into Labor/giving Birth Now

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have a pregnant 1 year old cat and she is 59 days pregnant I havent seen any discharge yet but shes been cleaning herself a ton all day today and I saw her stomach "jumping" earlier it was like a wave from side to side I was wondering if thats an early contraction? Shes had a few of those today about 1 every hour and she seems to be in absolutely no pain but she wants my undivided attention lol shes even going underneath my blankets and if I stop petting her she meows until I start again also shes still jumping around like onto my dresser and arm chair and still drinking water but shes only taken 2 bites of her food today which is unusual for her also she sleeps for like 2 minutes then gets up and goes to a new spot at the moment shes ontop of my dresser looking annoyed so I was wondering if this is pre labor or if any of your cats showed these signs a couple days before they had their kittens? This is my second time helping a cat have her babies but I was around 11 last time and she kinda did it all on her own with no warning signs so I have no clue what to look for any advice on what to look for the days leading up to the labor would be very much appreciated thank you in advance

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No I dont but Ive been reading alot about delivery and what to watch out for so I think Im all set and shes pretty healthy so I dont see anything going wrong with her hopefully all goes well I'm just having a hard time telling if shes about to go into labor or not

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today shes hiding in her nest, and she wont let me pet her belly anymore without biting me. Shes still cleaning herself a ton but I dont think shes gone into labor yet Im guessing it will be soon

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Safaria. Cats' pregnancies normally lasts between 63 and 65 days and labor is announced by a vaginal discharge some 24 hours before delivery.

We have a forum "Pregnant Cats and Kittens Articles" you may find helpful.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure she's very uncomfortable, poor girl. Human women sure are in those last days! If the babies are moving a lot she probably isn't in labor though. They usually settle down and line up in the birth canal when delivery is close. It'll be a few more days most likely. Just cater to her cravings and pamper her in every way. Everything is probably fine as long as she doesn't seem to be in pain or distress.

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright thank you guys so much for responding Ill update when something happens

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What does it look like when their milk comes in?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Angry? so she has prob some pains - here hopefully the "female" pains.

If good time to expected delivery it may be Branxton Hicks contractions, but waiting on labor, we must presume its prelabor or such. It has began.

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She seems freaked out shes running back and forth across my room all puffed up and shes breathing a little weird but maybe shes just out of breath from running back and fourth i dont know lol

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shes calmed down a ton shes no longer running back and forth shes just laying in the middle of my room on the floor
Last night she woke me up by clawing up my hand so shes still a tad bit moody

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shes started to attack the dad cat (toby) today she full on started biting at his throat which she has never done before normally all they do is snuggle

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also shes very swollen today so hopefully today or tomorrow she will have them
Im so excited :D

Safaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shes back to zipping across my room being all puffed up
Shes jumping over me then tries to get under my blankets then freaks out and runs to the other side of the room
Shes also sweeping/digging at the floor and cleaning herself a ton today
I dont see the kittens moving much anymore either