Is My Cat Eating Enough Fiber?

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am on making this thread because my cat is eating weird little fibers, although she eats primarily dry food which is the best food available. What amt of fiber should it have? thx

Last edited by a moderator:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t speak for dry food. But if you feed mostly or all wet food, then fiber isn’t needed. Cats’ digestive tracts are shorter and optimized for fast transit time. Moisture is actually more important than fiber in a cat’s diet. That’s why I don’t recommend exclusively dry. Or even a mostly dry diet. I would prefer all wet. But some dry is probably okay for daytime and overnight nibbles. But hunger pangs are actually great at moving stool and ingested hair along. It’s good for cats to get hungry between meals rather than always having access to food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
purrfect mom purrfect mom , what kind of weird little fibers are you talking about? This may not have anything to do with how much fiber is in your cat's food. I've never heard of a cat specifically eating extra fiber because they felt they needed to :wink:. If your little one is eating something she shouldn't, there may be another reason. Is she pooping fine? If not, that would be a reason to check into more fiber, but that's the only reason I can think of. Also, what do you mean dry food is the best food available? I agree with Daftcat75 that adding some wet food would be good if you can.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... What definition of "fiber" do you mean?

1) Threadlike filaments of foreign material?

2) Indigestible cellulose and carbohydrates found in food?

If you are talking about definition #2 then your cat probably doesn't need to eat very much fiber because she is a carnivore, not an herbivore or omnivore.

If you are talking about defintion #1 then we need to figure out how she's getting into such "filamentous materials" and how to prevent her from doing so.