Is my cat depressed?

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve had my cat for 8 months now and I think I once posted about how often she’d wake me up ( 2 am attacking the window of closet door to wake me up) well I finally decided enough and put her condo (she sleeps on it at night) and put it in another room with the biggest window for her to enjoy night views. This was about 2 weeks ago. I started to notice the last day or two how withdrawn she is. She sleeps in that room during her day naps and she hasn’t been as excited for food (eats fine but she seems to not run to me excitedly anymore if that makes sense?) now I’m worried she’s depressed? Last night she slept with me in my bed and didn’t wake me up until 6 am which was a blessing. She also slept with me the night before that and woke me up at 6. I myself love not being woken up at 2 am everyday but I feel like she isn’t happy with the situation. Am I crazy? I don’t know what to do if she’s upset with me

siamesecat108

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First thing I’d do is visit the vet. Cats are good at hiding when they are sick or injured, but a change in behavior like acting withdrawn could mean something is medically wrong so I’d get her checked out first. If vet says she’s all good, then I would think about if you’ve made any big changes to her environment/home lately that could be making her sad or anxious. I wouldn’t think moving the condo is a big deal but if there hasn’t been anything else changed, try moving the condo back where it was. Give her a long, vigorous play session that gets her energy out, and a meal right before bed so she is tired and full. Once you’ve gotten in bed for the night completely ignore her until you are ready to get up so she gets the idea. Give it a few nights to give her a chance to get used to the new routine.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
While cats can get depressed it is usually due to a big change in the home, like adding another pet, losing a companion pet, changing house, losing a favorite human, etc. As siamesecat108 siamesecat108 said, changes to a cat condo should not cause it. So I second the vet visit. Assuming she is okay it could just be a change in habits that all cats go through periodically for unknown reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While cats can get depressed it is usually due to a big change in the home, like adding another pet, losing a companion pet, changing house, losing a favorite human, etc. As siamesecat108 siamesecat108 said, changes to a cat condo should not cause it. So I second the vet visit. Assuming she is okay it could just be a change in habits that all cats go through periodically for unknown reasons.
I did recently change her food (store was out of her favorite brand) I wonder if that could be why? I didn’t put it together until today when she keeps meowing at her food bowl even though she ate.