Is My Cat Depressed

emilye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an appointment with my vet scheduled but I need to know if anyone else can shed some light on this situation.

I adopted Ursula about a year ago when she was less than a year old. She was very energetic, dangerously curious, and still very much a kitten. She gradually calmed down and seemed to be healthily maturing. Last week or so I started noticing her acting strangely; she will not lay any where other than the back of my computer chair (which is about 5 inches thick). She stays there when I go to bed and is there when I come home from work. She usually lays on her belly with her legs hanging down either side, but sometimes she tries to curl up. My greatest concern is when she falls asleep on there, she falls. When I'm sitting on the chair she slips onto my back, but sometimes she falls flat on the floor. She doesn't regain consciousness quickly enough to land on her feet but she always climbs right back up. I don't how much this hurts her.

She still purrs when I pet her, uses her litter box, eats regularly, but she's noticeably less lively. I don't know if she's just grown out of her kitten phase or if she's seriously ill. This is not my first cat and I've never seen this kind of behavior before. Does anyone have any insight or experience with this?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry that no one has replied to your post before now. I know from experience how disappointing and discouraging it is to ask for help and not get any. I wish I could tell you what went wrong. Sometimes posts slide down the queue before someone reads them who knows the answer but whatever is the case, please accept my apologies for not getting any feedback to your question before today.

By now, you have probably taken Ursula to the vet and hopefully have an answer for what is wrong with her. She doesn't sound depressed to me, btw. She sounds ill but I honestly couldn't begin to guess at the reason. The vet is exactly the right place for her. Whatever is wrong, I hope it is easily treated and that she is back to her usual kittenish self in no time. Ursula sounds like a total sweetheart.

When you have the chance, I would love to hear how she's doing. If you have any photos to share, please include them - we can never have too many photos here. catman.gif

Again, I am so very sorry that you didn't get an answer when you should have.
Sorry Cat.gif