Is my cat Crescent Moon part bobcat

Virginie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I was wondering if you would help me identify my new 10 week old kitten. Is she part pixie bob or perhaps bobcat? She is growing two lbs a month, has black tips and ear patches , her eyes are deep set and started blueish green and changed to hello. She does not have a bob tail but her tail is shorter .
Crescent Moon a specked belly. I love her so much !
thanks for any advice ,
Virginie

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely! :redheartpump: That's a great name you picked for her, too.

From the picture, I would describe her as a brown tabby domestic shorthair. It's not easy to get a good look at her tabby pattern from this picture, but I think her pattern looks like "broken mackerel" (some stripes and some spots). Random bred cats, especially as kittens often have a lot of "ticking" that somewhat obscures the tabby pattern. Spots on the belly are a normal part of the mackerel and classic tabby patterns; most tabby cats have these spots. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Although many people wonder if their cat is part bobcat, this is extremely unlikely for any cat. Opinions are mixed on whether hybridization between domestic cats and bobcats is even possible. Some people have claimed their cats have bobcat ancestry, but others have questioned those claims.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current scientific knowledge indicates that bobcats and domestic cats cannot produce viable offspring. Every time a supposed hybrid is tested, it turns out to be 100% domestic or 100% bobcat. So she almost certainly isn't a hybrid.

She is very cute! And a pure black nose is pretty rare. We need more pics!

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Domestic cats and Bob cats can not reproduce and Pixiebobs are tiny cats and not very common. She's just going to be a larger domestic short hair cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixiebobs are tiny cats
Maybe you're thinking of a different breed? Pixie-Bobs are large (but not huge) cats, averaging 11 pounds when the average for domestics is 8 pounds. Many breeders claim they're actually mixed with bobcats, but again, DNA testing doesn't support that. Breeders have done a pretty good job of making them LOOK like bobcat hybrids though.

This kitty doesn't look that much like a Pixie-Bob, but if she is gaining 2 pounds a month, she is likely going to be quite large, unless she's just an early bloomer. But domestic cats come in a wide range of sizes so that doesn't really mean anything.

OP, how much does she weigh now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Virginie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's lovely! :redheartpump: That's a great name you picked for her, too.

From the picture, I would describe her as a brown tabby domestic shorthair. It's not easy to get a good look at her tabby pattern from this picture, but I think her pattern looks like "broken mackerel" (some stripes and some spots). Random bred cats, especially as kittens often have a lot of "ticking" that somewhat obscures the tabby pattern. Spots on the belly are a normal part of the mackerel and classic tabby patterns; most tabby cats have these spots. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Although many people wonder if their cat is part bobcat, this is extremely unlikely for any cat. Opinions are mixed on whether hybridization between domestic cats and bobcats is even possible. Some people have claimed their cats have bobcat ancestry, but others have questioned those claims.
Thank you for the nice compliment on her name. I love Crescent Moon so much and whatever she is I am just so happy to have such a good girl!

Virginie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Domestic cats and Bob cats can not reproduce and Pixiebobs are tiny cats and not very common. She's just going to be a larger domestic short hair cat.
Thank you for your input . She is so dear and I love her! Crescent moon appreciates the advice too and is going to be a wonderful girl no matter what she is! Thank you again.

Virginie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Current scientific knowledge indicates that bobcats and domestic cats cannot produce viable offspring. Every time a supposed hybrid is tested, it turns out to be 100% domestic or 100% bobcat. So she almost certainly isn't a hybrid.

She is very cute! And a pure black nose is pretty rare. We need more pics!
image.jpg She