is my cat coming in heat?

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every once in a while I will here my female cat do this deep abnormal moaning type
Of meow ive heard her twice doing it and each time ive caught her doing it she stopped
Both times ive seen her do this its been late at night.. I took her in so I don't know her exact age
But she looks old enough to be in heat I know cats as early as 6months can come in heat

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah it sounds like you may have a cat in heat. It can be a ear bleeding yowl/howl. They'll have their hind quarters arched and sticking up with their tails up. Both male and female cats do the aweful yowling/howling and I'll be getting my boy in soon for that reason besides spraying which I heard the females also do.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually I meant their tails would be hanging over, not straight up with the middle of their back arched inward and hind quarters up in the air a bit. They'd be making a mix of yowling/howling and maybe some trilling as well. I'm sure Youtube would have some videos for you to compare. ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if she'd stop if she were in heat ;). Cats in heat can be sooo annoying with near-constant howling. It's time to have her spayed anyway. . .has she been to the vet for a checkup yet? It's possible she was spayed by a previous owner, the vet might be able to tell one way or the other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she's been out of my sight each time ive heard her doing this in the house late at night but the meows were quite different compared to how she usually meows and we have a male cat that lives under our house that Is not fixed that my female knows about .. she started meowing like that again last night

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope it doesn't always take the first time 2 cats get hooked up apparently while I was asleep my mom let the stray in knowing she was in heat and she said they got hooked up when I woke up earlier and found him in the house with her I caught him trying to do it once and I stopped it before he even managed to start again and put him outside where he should have been in the first place ... I don't know if he's done anymore besides that one time my mother said because everyone was asleep. ... my cat is possibly pregnant now and I'm not happy I dident want her having kittens

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have her spayed in the next week-3 weeks, it won't be any riskier than a normal spay. After that it does get a little iffy and I wouldn't feel right about spaying after 4-5 weeks anyway. But if you do it right away there shouldn't be any problem.

Cats are induced ovulators which means they drop eggs when mated. And cats are pretty fertile. So she probably did drop eggs this time :/. If you don't want kittens I recommend spaying her quickly.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep get her spayed now if you wait longer and she is even a little pregnant the surgery is riskier and cost more because the uterus is harder to remove. The Humane society clinics can usually get you in sooner if you tell then she may have just mated.

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks but I think I'm going to wait and see if she has kittens before I fix her Im against abortion to be honest.. if she has them she has them and I will have to just fix her afterwards even though I don't really want them.. if she doesn't start showing soon and she's not pregnant that's great I'll go ahead and fix her as soon as I can I found a place in orange park Florida that's non profit that spays and neuters for free but I don't like the idea that I would have to leave her there overnight in the process

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that many, many cats end up killed for being excess or unwanted. . .the main reason people are against abortion for humans is because they feel it ends a human life (and it's wrong and illegal to kill a human after birth), but when it comes to abortion for cats, there's so many cat lives being ended anyway that it honestly is kinder to do it before they're born, if you can't guarantee they'll get a good home after they're born. It's hard to find good homes for kittens, especially if you didn't want them in the first place.

Just a little philosophizing, no pressure one way or the other :D.

If you don't choose to spay her soon, keep her away from the male (and make sure your mother knows that too!) just in case it didn't take this time. And see if there's some organization that will help get the male neutered---he'll be happier and healthier without getting into all those fights over the ladies, besides the obvious birth control benefits.

Last edited:

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is pregnant were just now able to feel them inside my mother thinks they are dead.. we can feel them but they aren't moving at all when we touch them.. I know I stumbled over her a few times in the kitchen not seeing her in between my legs while I was taking my medication and doing other things she is a calico so she blends in with my tan almost orange tile in my kitchen could they be dead

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when she mated? maybe she not ready to have them but if it above 70 days i suggest taking her to the vet. it very possible that you hurt a few or all of them. just check where she at before walking

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long is she pregnant? Yes, they could be dead and if she is far along pregnant the cat's body will most likely no longer absorb the dead kitten and she'll have them stillborn. But just tumbling over her is not really a reason for all her kittens to suddenly die inside of her. They are well protected by the mother's body, they should be able to endure some bumps.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat is pregnant were just now able to feel them inside my mother thinks they are dead.. we can feel them but they aren't moving at all when we touch them.. I know I stumbled over her a few times in the kitchen not seeing her in between my legs while I was taking my medication and doing other things she is a calico so she blends in with my tan almost orange tile in my kitchen could they be dead
So, again, how long into pregnancy is she?   The answer and  "diagnose"  depends on this.

Could you feel them move earlier?

Usually one can feel them move about 2 weeks before delivery, perhaps a shade longer, but not earlier.  Then the very last days of pregnancy, when they have "dropped" into birthing positions, you dont feel them as clearly as before - AND they are longer down.   So inexperienced persons often thinks they dont feel the kittens in this here situation.

So, with any luck, there are fully natural causes you dont feel them.

But if your answer shows you SHOULD feel them, but you dont, and or if you notice your cat is unwell, contacting your vet may be the best or even only good advice.

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
for those of you that are asking how far along my cat is I don't exactly know I was trying to prevent the pregnancy until I got her fixed and believe me I tried.. according to a chart I read she's around 30-35 days. http://www.petcarerx.com/article/cat-pregnancy-stages/901
Her belly is big her nipples are big round and soft not leaking milk yet and a few days ago we finally felt heads and no I never felt them move once just their heads alone

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, if she's just 30-35 days you won't feel them moving yet. You might feel their bodies though, but they won't move. If she didn't have any green discharge (Which happens occasionally when a kitten dies inside) I think you shouldn't worry yet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree.  You wont feel the kittens move until the day about 45-50, ie perhaps in another  two weeks more.

You seem pretty good at palpitation, so it will probably be 45 days of the pregnancy.   The delivery count on day 65, but it may vary somewhat.

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are alive and very active in her stomach now shouldn't be long before she has them I hope their won't be any stillborns