Is my cat close to labour ?

Becky9312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray cat an her 5 kittens a while ago we kept one kitten an re homed the others .
She is now pregnant again and to me she seems very big ? She has become more affectionate over the past few days I have provided her with a birthing box inside my wardrobe but I don’t think she likes it and I haven’t seen her make a nesting place apart from Going underneath my bed a fair bit , no decrease In appetite either.
Also at a guess how many kittens do you think she may have ?
0EF8A541-4F0F-4308-A51A-581C57A48E75.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Becky9312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone ? Also I wanted to ask if a cat can put off going to labour ? .. I have 5 young children an don’t know if she is putting it off because of that ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Anyone ? Also I wanted to ask if a cat can put off going to labour ? .. I have 5 young children an don’t know if she is putting it off because of that ?
Yeah, its an old saying cats are able to somewhat put off their labor. Anyway, if she istnt best friends with the kids, an demands to be with them, its best and safest she have her own room, her safe zone.

She seems big, and there are surely several kittens. But I do presume she hasnt dropped as yet, ie suddenly seems less big. After this, its perhaps 2 days left. I suppose she accepts belly rubbing? Do so, its a nice massage.

Cats very often take the nest in the last moment, or even AFTER the delivery: in nature, they dont want to get the nest smelly too early.
But she surely does appreciate the knowledge there is a suitable nest just waiting.

Ps. and please, do plan on spaying her after the kittens are weaned. EVEN if you have enough with connections to be able to adopt out all her kittens to good homes.

Becky9312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I do plan on having her spayed once she has these kittens , I asked the neighbours when I first took her in case she was one of theirs an the lady next door told me that the litter I found outside was her 3rd litter last year :( I asked what happened to the other kittens but she said she didn’t know .

she is not the biggest fan of my children , she will let them stroke her but only for a short while as with me an my husband she demands strokes for hours lol.

she seemed smaller this morning so will keep an eye on her.

her belly has also been having what feel like tightenings ? Going hard then soft .. I know humans get Brixton hicks but unsure weather cats get pre labour contractions too.

Thankyou for your reply :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to put the cat in a private place, like your bedroom or closet with door open. Your children should stay away and not handle the newborns until they are 3 weeks old.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes cats too may have BH contractions. Usually several days before delivery.

Becky9312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try to put the cat in a private place, like your bedroom or closet with door open. Your children should stay away and not handle the newborns until they are 3 weeks old.
I have tried putting her in her birthing box and leaving her too it but she just gets out , my children will not be touching the babies at all , until they are probably 5+ weeks.

Becky9312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes cats too may have BH contractions. Usually several days before delivery.
Ah ok that’s good to know she’s been having them for about 4 days now , I have offered a few types of safe secure birthing places but she doesn’t seem to like them lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats only go to a birthing box when it’s time to deliver! :)

Becky9312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most cats only go to a birthing box when it’s time to deliver! :)
Ah ok :) that makes me feel abit better , never had a cat give birth under my care before so this is all new to me ! She had her last litter in my garden an I only found them when they was about 4 weeks old - I had been feeding the mum for a couple weeks as she regularly come up to me when I was outside.. I found 5 kittens last time , she is quite big so I’m assuming she will have around the same this time.

Becky9312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Luna gave started giving birth at 3am this morning 🤗 she’s had 5 happy kittens who all seem to be feeding great , she did amazing !
44EA9FAB-0349-413B-A354-FA030E97F037.jpeg
462BFA6D-D91C-47B7-A664-D58431F285C4.jpeg

Becky9312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they are all latching and doing great :)