Is my cat close to Labour ??

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes...he’s nursing
Hi! If you could and are willing, you may want to weigh every 12 hours versus 24 at first if you think that would be acceptable for your situation. The baby isn't super small, but is little. I've had it quite a few times where smaller babies were latched on but not actually nursing well.

I've had others where they were latched on and nursing perfectly of course, including a little 71g baby, so all is probably AOK but did want to mention it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hermionesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! If you could and are willing, you may want to weigh every 12 hours versus 24 at first if you think that would be acceptable for your situation. The baby isn't super small, but is little. I've had it quite a few times where smaller babies were latched on but not actually nursing well.

I've had others where they were latched on and nursing perfectly of course, including a little 71g baby, so all is probably AOK but did want to mention it.
Just weighed him again and in 6 hours he is up to 91 grams! So up 5 grams already. Is that good???

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just weighed him again and in 6 hours he is up to 91 grams! So up 5 grams already. Is that good???
In 6 hours? That's fabulous! Don't weigh toooooo often or the little fluctuations will drive you crazy (or at least they do me), but 91g is a good solid weight and 5 grams in 6 hours is a good gain! Some babies don't gain any weight the first 24 hours, some even lose a gram or two.

If it was me I'd probably keep up the twice daily weighing for a couple more days and if all is going upwards (average of 10g a day) drop down to once a day. (Although, I say that and I'm still weighing twice a day on my litter even though they' are growing like weeds LOL! :dunno::runaround:)

I've never had a singleton litter but have read that mom's can get bored with them and stop caring for them. If memory serves generally pretty early too (weeks not months). No idea if that is 100% true just something I've read that stuck in my head cause it seemed odd.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet little baby! Glad to see the baby is nursing and gaining well!

Just FYI, given this baby's color (dilute tortoiseshell, also known as blue-cream), it is most likely a FEMALE kitten :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hermionesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a sweet little baby! Glad to see the baby is nursing and gaining well!

Just FYI, given this baby's color (dilute tortoiseshell, also known as blue-cream), it is most likely a FEMALE kitten :)
Yes I was actually going to post last night , as I checked and compared online , and it does appear it’s a she !:)