Is My Cat Bombay?

Keal97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has a white spot on his chest and belly as well as his feet... I heard bombay's can occasionally be born with white spots but I am not sure what breed my cat is.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's a beauty! But he doesn't look like a Bombay to me. They are small cats with all black fur and large round golden eyes. That looks more like the American black tabby. The white fur on his chest is called the "Angel's Kiss" which is characteristic of the American breed. There is a whole story to why they have the Angel's Kiss. It has to do with early Americana during the witch hunt era. All black cats were slayed unless they had any white at all on them. That is how these black cats survived and you see them now with the little patch of white on their chest. It can be a whole patch of white or just a few hairs of white.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wanted to add I had an American black tabby cat once. He had just a few white hairs on his chest. Other than that he was entirely black. From the tip of his tail to the tip of his nose. Even his whiskers were black.

At the same time I also had a tuxedo cat. When the tuxedo cat was next to the black cat you could see that the black coat on the tuxedo cat was a deep black velvet while the black on the black cat was a sable black. By sable I mean that when light shined on his coat you could see shimmers of brown, red, copper, etc. It gave it that "sabled" look that was extremely beautiful. A "true" black actually has all the colors of the rainbow in it. I just thought it was interesting how the tuxedo cat was actually a blacker black than the black cat in comparison.

Anyway, you should be proud of your baby because his ancestry is a part of American history. That's why all American black tabby cats have the Angel's kiss.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks nothing like a Bombay to me either. The head shape and eyes are all wrong. He is just a domestic short haired cat. GORGEOUS though.

Salem&Blair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Salem n Blair r abt 3-4 months, completely black, very talkative n love to have conversatios, we love to be held n kissed. We like to be under the covers or on dad's lap while he's asleep. We love to play n we r on everything!!! Maddawg, our big brother cant keep up w us, lol...
20181112_084743.jpg

We have long straight tails, round head n nose.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very pretty! I would describe them as black domestic shorthairs. Bombays have a different head structure that is much rounder.