Is my cat an Abyssinian mix?

remi ijaiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At first i considered my kitten to be a tabby, but people have said that they think that she is part Abyssinian. Sh[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]e's got tabby marks on her face and stripes on all his legs, but the stripes fade to a ticked pattern on her back. She is 15 weeks old.[/color][color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  I know she was born feral so Im not quite sure she's got any real breed in her.[/color]

Here are some photos of her as a kitten. What do you think? Could she have some Abyssinian heritage, or is it just some recessive tabby gene?

Matilda at 11 weeks

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very cute, but very, very unlikely to have any pedigree Aby in her. 

Their pattern - ticked tabby - occurs in other breeds and in non-pedigree as well.  Also, well under 10% of cats are pedigree, and of those Abys are not a particularly common breed. The GGCF (main UK registry) registered just over 21,300 kittens in 2011 and of those only 270 were Abys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

remi ijaiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you, i've added some more pictures of her now, would you say she is an ticked tabby then?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tabby is a colour/coat pattern and not a breed. There are several types of tabby markings, which occur in a number of breeds as well as being very common ont he larger domestic cat population. So yout cat is a domestic shorthair, with ticked tabby markings.

remi ijaiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At first i considered my kitten to be a tabby, but people have said that they think that she is part Abyssinian. She's got tabby marks on her face and stripes on all her legs, but the stripes fade to a ticked pattern on her back. She is 15 weeks old.  I know she was born feral so Im not quite sure she's got any real breed in her.

Here are some photos of her as a kitten. What do you think? Could she have some Abyssinian heritage, or is it just some recessive tabby gene?

the ticked back of my kitten

she has tabby on her tummy and face

Last edited:

remi ijaiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks, so you dot think there is any chance of her having aby in her?i posted some more pics, if you look at my other posts...i have put more better pictures up if you want to look :)

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ticked tabbies can happen in domestics too! I have a ticked tabby as well (and his brother also has a ticked coat), and can assure you he is not part abyssinian. Just a domestic shorthair with a cool coat!

You just got lucky with a kitty with a unique coat!

Here's my guy, Hercules:

remi ijaiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks, do you think there is any chance of her being aby or would you say she is ticked tabby?

remi ijaiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you! do they get any bigger than a normal cat size?and do their ears get big?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tabby isnt a breed, but a very common pattern.

Abyssinian is a breed, or possibly, a way to describe a look alike, without analysing it if really is a pure bred abyssinian.

I suppose one can say yours kitten is a little look alike of Abyssinian yes.

He is also a tabby yes. 

Although remember, with cats, the breed is not looks, but what they are born as.  Ie paperwork and ancestry.

That is the rule of thumb, with a very few exceptions in very special situations.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thanks, so you dot think there is any chance of her having aby in her?
I myself think she is somewhat a look alike Aby, if you want.

And there is almost always a theoretical possiblity there was som BYB breeder nearby who was careless. Or a stud who was allowed to get out sometimes.

But the speculations dont lead anywhere.

And I personally say, it would not risk to diminish your pride over your beautyful kitten, if you one day get proof he hasnt any Aby mix, he is "just" a common moggie.

Nay, be happy of what you got, by happy for the love and friendship you will get.

It is not only dogs who do give real love for money, you know.  Cats do it too.

Edit.  I noticed a "not" got missing, corrected now.

Last edited:

remi ijaiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
do you think mine will get big like an abyssinian? if its a ticked tabby do they get very big?people say my kittens ears look quite big

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Like Stefanz said, 'ticked tabby' is the type of coat/markings/pattern. It's not a breed. It can happen in any domestic shorthair/longhair when the right genes come together. So your kitty could be larger or smaller or average. It really just depends on the genetics it has.

But your kitty most likely has no 'purebred' blood in it at all, which most kitties do not. Especially when starting out feral.

So she probably will not resemble much of an Abyssinian at all other than the ticked coat, just like my kitty. Kittens tend to have large ears, i'm sure she'll grow into them!

My kitty is not large at all, he's 6 months and hasn't even reached 5 lbs yet lol. It differs for each kitty!

By all techincal terms I believe your baby is considered A brown (color) ticked tabby (pattern) domestic short-hair ('breed'.. which isn't really a breed but just considered 'moggie'.. kind of like a 'mutt' in dogs terms).

Last edited:

remi ijaiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok thank you all so much, ill post pics when she's a bit older x

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she does kinda look like a abby or maybe a bangel I have a ticked tabby also he is odd looking he is in my pets photos his name is Michael

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but I do have an Aby kitten and I don't see a lot of resemblance. Your kitten has a different shaped face and muzzle and the ears aren't as big and her eye shape is much rounder. A ticked coat can happen with domestic shorthairs, I myself also have a shelter kitty who has ticking along with his tabby pattern. Ticking doesn't equal Aby. Also, Abyssinians are not large cats, they are medium ish, with females 6-8lbs. My girl is 6 months old and 4.5lbs. I have a post with her pics just below this one.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just what I was going to say, they are a medium sized breed. Doesn't look like an Aby mix to me, and not a Bengal as someone else threw in.

The tabby pattern comes in spotted, ticked, mackeral and marble/blotched. Shows up in domestics and pedigree cats. 

joannaybi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think your cat is a breed similar Abyssinian called "Wild Abyssinian"