Is my cat about to give birth?

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an 8 month old kitten who ended up getting pregnant (Don't worry I plan to have her and all of the kittens fixed) I went to the vet 2 weeks ago and he said he is guessing she has around a week left, but because I don't know when she got pregnant it's pretty much a guessing game. The last 3 days she has been overly affectionate and whining a lot. I have read hundreds of forums about kittens going into labor but I haven't really ready anything that sounds like my little girl. I don't notice her showing much nesting behavior. I have 2 other cats so my vet advised that I set up a separate room for her by herself. I have a birthing box, litter, food, water and all of her favorite toys and stuffed animals but she is not interested in anything other than pacing around the room and whining. But I haven't noticed any discharge or fresh milk on her nipples although there is white flakiness but that has been present for around a week. This is my first time experiencing this and her first time being pregnant. Any advice? Think she is due soon? She had been eating around 3 cans of wet food a day, and some dry food but not too interested in it. Today she ate around half a can and wasn't interested anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid that having her in the room alone may be stressing her out since she is so used to being around the other pets and myself 24/7. But my other cats have been trying to play with her roughly and that worries me as well so I am just paranoid I suppose that I am messing up somehow

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Changes in behavior (especially becoming more affectionate) is a sign that delivery is nearing! Milk production usually starts a day or two before birth, so keep an eye on that, because that will give you a pretty good estimate. But, it sounds like there’s not too much longer!
Here’s a helpful article: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – Cat Articles

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Changes in behavior (especially becoming more affectionate) is a sign that delivery is nearing! Milk production usually starts a day or two before birth, so keep an eye on that, because that will give you a pretty good estimate. But, it sounds like there’s not too much longer!
Here’s a helpful article: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – Cat Articles
Do you think having her in the room alone is stressing her out? Or am I just worrying too much

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response by the way

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you think having her in the room alone is stressing her out? Or am I just worrying too much
If she is very close pal with the others, the isolation isnt necessary - but you say they play rough. Better to separate then....

The waiting game takes on our patience... Has she dropped? Ie suddenly seems less pregnant? If so, its near. If not, it may take days more... Not all cats drop visibly, but its often a decently reliable mark to to get time count.

If she accepts belly rubs, do so. Its good massage and even helps thins go in some degree.

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, honestly. I haven't noticed much of a change other than before she was very round and her belly was very hard and today it seems a little less round if that is what dropping means? She accept belly rubs for around 10 seconds and then she grips my hand really tight with her paws and pulls it away to lick it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you haven't seen these articles, they might help.

Also, try music for her; musicforcats . com or even low volume classical harp music now and then is known to often help cats be more calm :)

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! She is fine right now, been sleeping on and off and eating here or there. I have a nanny cam set up for her for when I can't be in there with her and she mostly paces around, whines and sleeps

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad that she can't get comfortable

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you had to guess an ETA, how long do you think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's not actually showing milk yet, correct? So at least a couple days yet, likely... Hang in there :)

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Correct, her nipples are covered in white flakes but as for seeing wet milk, I haven't yet

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes milk does not come in until the cat gives birth. Either way she sounds very close. :)
Patiently waiting is definitely a difficult task lol I feel like I can't step away for longer than a few minutes because I worry

Abby2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw her stomach twitching a little this morning, and the kittens have been very active inside her. She went from eating around 3 cans of food daily to today only eating a little more than half of 1 can and shes very whiny but doing fine just can't get comfortable