Is my cat a Russian Blue mix?

Rachie122

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted this cat as she was mistreated by her previous owner. We initially thought she was a Russian Blue but her fur seems a little too long and she malts every time we pat her. Her hair colour changes from brown-grey, blue-grey, purple-grey (especially along her legs and paws) depending on the light. Do you think she is half Russian Blue, if so I wonder what she’s been crossed with?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the body and head could pass for a pet quality russian blue, but the fur is way too long... A very pretty domestic must by our conclusion. Your only hope is if some purebreed russian blue adopts her as adoptive dau. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is such a pretty girl! I would describe her as a blue domestic longhair. Blue is a common color in the domestic cat population and doesn't indicate ancestry from any of the "blue breeds"; most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds.

Note that a half Russian Blue cat would be shorthaired (since short hair is dominant), and would not necessarily be blue in color (since blue is recessive).

Brattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the body and head could pass for a pet quality russian blue, but the fur is way too long... A very pretty domestic must by our conclusion. Your only hope is if some purebreed russian blue adopts her as adoptive dau. :)
I’m also not sure about mine, he is 7 months old and he has:
stripped tail
mauve paws
a smile
very long
muscular
But he has these white patches on his neck and stomach and his eyes are a light green and unlike what most people say where their Russian blues are very friendly, mine is very bratty and now know how to talk back to me. But he is very smart, knows how to open doors and can sit on command and fist bump so im not sure what he is

Brattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m also not sure about mine, he is 7 months old and he has:
stripped tail
mauve paws
a smile
very long
muscular
But he has these white patches on his neck and stomach and his eyes are a light green and unlike what most people say where their Russian blues are very friendly, mine is very bratty and now know how to talk back to me. But he is very smart, knows how to open doors and can sit on command and fist bump so im not sure what he is
Here are some photos

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are some photos
He could pass for a pet quality RB of the european type. (the white locklet does happen on solid colored cats, so even RB, its not a true white spot gene - but this detail by itself would deem him to a pet quality).

But unless you have sure history pointing for a true RB, count him as a pretty domestic...

The fur is lenghy for a shorthair, but such happens sometimes. Why, our Ancestor Muskis was quite hairy. Especielly on belly and behind.
As long as the tail aint bushy, he should count as shorthair.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. A smile? American RB are renown for a smile. While for example, the scandinavian males may often look hostile - they are friendly, to people and their wifes, but they do look angry...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's cute! I like the pictures you took, too. You captured a lot of different expressions.

I would describe your cat as a blue domestic shorthair. To my eye, he doesn't look anything like a Russian Blue, regardless of whether you are comparing him to European type, UK type, or American type. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs. But that doesn't make them any less handsome or special -- domestic shorthairs are great cats! Your cat has his own special look that is all his own :)