Is my cat a Ragdoll breed?

Tabicat0218

Lots of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten that I rescued an I am not sure what breed he is. The first couple pics are when he was a kitten. He is now almost 5 months and weighing in at 9lbs 2 oz...the same size as my full grown female grey tabby.
Some of his characteristics: he absolutely loves me. Sleeps on me or touching me every night. If I go outside, he is always waiting by the door for me. He loves to play with my other cats, even though he can be rough with them. Lol Everyday when I get home from work, he lets me pick him up and hold him like a baby to give him love.
Does anyone know? Thank you. AirBrush_20210508110133.jpg AirBrush_20210523181357.jpg 20210725_150409.jpg AirBrush_20210731155456.jpg 20210821_073724.jpg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a Ragdoll at all. Nothing in his appearance would lead to that conclusion.

Domestic blue (grey) Mackerel tabby with white. Not sure on the fur length as kittens always tend to be extra floofy. We had a very plush short hair but I see he has some nice ear tufting so it's possible he may wind up being kind of medium haired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabicat0218

Lots of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
Not a Ragdoll at all. Nothing in his appearance would lead to that conclusion.

Domestic blue (grey) Mackerel tabby with white. Not sure on the fur length as kittens always tend to be extra floofy. We had a very plush short hair but I see he has some nice ear tufting so it's possible he may wind up being kind of medium haired.

Attachments

Tabicat0218

Lots of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
I think you are right. Thank you so much!!

Tabicat0218

Lots of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
I have never heard of a Mackerel Tabby...loli just searched kitten pics and he looked closest to a ragdoll from what I found. I really appreciate your help.

Tabicat0218

Lots of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten that I rescued an I am not sure what breed he is. The first couple pics are when he was a kitten. He is now almost 5 months and weighing in at 9lbs 2 oz...the same size as my full grown female grey tabby.
Some of his characteristics: he absolutely loves me. Sleeps on me or touching me every night. If I go outside, he is always waiting by the door for me. He loves to play with my other cats, even though he can be rough with them. Lol Everyday when I get home from work, he lets me pick him up and hold him like a baby to give him love.
Does anyone know? Thank you. View attachment 392578View attachment 392579View attachment 392580View attachment 392581View attachment 392582
What about my other 3?? You seem very knowledgeable! Let me know please! AirBrush_20210817232913.jpg AirBrush_20210812184521.jpg 20210718_102530.jpg

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never heard of a Mackerel Tabby...loli just searched kitten pics and he looked closest to a ragdoll from what I found. I really appreciate your help.
The searches on Google for cat breeds is useless because there's so many bad breeders scamming on the web and via Facebook preying on those who don't know what a standard looks like for the breed being searched for.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about my other 3?? You seem very knowledgeable! Let me know please!View attachment 392596View attachment 392597View attachment 392599
All are domestic cats meaning no specific breed. Not mixed either as in the way dogs are.

First, not sure how to describe the 1st one (female though, I assume from coloring).
Maybe Torbie and white.

Second one is a domestic short hair black Tortoiseshell.

Third dilute blue tabby, I think also Mackerel pattern, possibly with a "ticked" (banded with various colors) coat too. Hard to tell on the photo. I also think I see a very small amount of red on one back leg and the rear area so there may be a more specific way to describe it's color.

I'm not great at the actual patterns of tabbies because sometimes they are a mixture of patterns, so hopefully someone else can correct me on these!

Tabicat0218

Lots of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
You are so much help. Thank you.

When they were kittens. Lol
All are domestic cats meaning no specific breed. Not mixed either as in the way dogs are.

First, not sure how to describe the 1st one (female though, I assume from coloring).
Maybe Torbie and white.

Third dilute blue tabby, I think also Mackerel pattern, possibly with a "ticked" (banded with various colors) coat too. Hard to tell on the photo. I also think I see a very small amount of red on one back leg and the rear area so there may be a more specific way to describe it's color.

I'm not great at the actual patterns of tabbies because sometimes they are a mixture of patterns, so hopefully someone else can correct me on these!
A better picture of Sam's colors and yes, she is a female. All of them are accept the baby, Oliver.

Attachments

Tabicat0218

Lots of Cats
Kitten
Purraise

Maybe Torbie and white.

She was sleeping in my watermelon patch!🤣🤣🤣

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about my other 3?? You seem very knowledgeable! Let me know please!View attachment 392596View attachment 392597View attachment 392599
All beauties, all dsh, the first girl I would call call a bicolor caliby, her face shape and ears look like there could be some oriental ancestry to me, second girl is a gorgeous tortie💕 and the third is a beautiful blue or silver mackerel tabby.
The kitten is a bicolor mackerel tabby maybe, I don’t see any ragdoll in him but with dsh depending on where they came from it is impossible to know what could be there albeit mostly from distant ancestry. For instance ragdolls were originally bred from an all white angora like feral longhair mom and birman like makes with points. Look up ragdolls and Josephine. He looks like he could turn out to be lh, but more of a medium hair, or a fluffier sh. Some lh kittens take a while to get their floof. Here is a link on bicolor patterns. Another breed to look at for what he could be similar to in some ways in his looks in terms of the longer fur is Turkish Angora.

7+ Bicolor Pattern Variations in Cats (and Why They Occur)

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten is a longhair looks like to me so will floof out in a few years for sure. By 3 they really poof out lol.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Caliby isn’t a generic term

your cats are black tortie mackerel tabby (also known as Torbie) & white.

black tortie.

blue mackerel tabby. dilute refers to several colours such as blue, lilac, fawn, cream. Blue is a dilute so simply saying blue tabby is enough. The cat is not silver.

as already said the first kitten is a blue Mac tabby & white.
All are domestics.

Tabicat0218

Lots of Cats
Kitten
Purraise
Caliby isn’t a generic term

your cats are black tortie mackerel tabby (also known as Torbie) & white.

black tortie.

blue mackerel tabby. dilute refers to several colours such as blue, lilac, fawn, cream. Blue is a dilute so simply saying blue tabby is enough. The cat is not silver.

as already said the first kitten is a blue Mac tabby & white.
All are domestics.
Thank you!