Is my cat a Norwegian forest cat?

Harrythefluffycat_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, our gorgeous Harry is a rescue cat and we've been trying to figure out what breed he might be. At first we thought a Maine Coon but after more research we think he could be a Norwegian Forest Cat, or maybe Siberian Forest Cat?

He loves hunting and going outside, he's playful but cautious of everything at the same time. He has such a lovely personality - very affectionate and loves a cuddle.

The reason I think he could possibly be a Norwegian forest cat is because of his triangle shaped head and his eyes, and I've seen Norwegian forest cats who look extremely similar to Harry.

IMG-20210409-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210409-WA0001.jpg
20210331_143001.jpg
20210331_143024.jpg
IMG-20201108-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20210117-WA0000.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aint we gorgious! Wow! Biggish too, no?

If he likes people, and to be handled, AND likes to be groomed, consider to participate in Shows, in the Household Pet class. He should make a carieer there!

I understand what you tell, but the muzzle is massive and quadratish enough to be a Maine Coon look alike.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Black bicolour DSH. Gorgeous cat, but no significant resemblance to NFC or MCO that follow standard well, imo — doesn’t have the ears or a strong enough muzzle, nor the correct head profile. Siberians have completely different head shapes, as well. Only around 3-5% of cats are pedigree or have significant pedigree background — the majority of cats are just cats. Unless they have paperwork, or come from at least one parent with paperwork, they’re most likely just randombred cats.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Black bicolour DSH. Gorgeous cat, but no significant resemblance to NFC or MCO that follow standard well, imo — doesn’t have the ears or a strong enough muzzle, nor the correct head profile. Siberians have completely different head shapes, as well. Only around 3-5% of cats are pedigree or have significant pedigree background — the majority of cats are just cats. Unless they have paperwork, or come from at least one parent with paperwork, they’re most likely just randombred cats.
Ditto. I would have written nearly exactly what is here.

Very handsome cat!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BEAUTIFUL CAT!!!

I dont try to guess at possible breeds or lookalikes....seems im always so far off base.

I love Harry's colors and sheen.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous😻 And imho he most certainly does have a strong lookalike to a forest cat… I would say more nfc than mc, but his face is a bit more rectilinear from the front, not Siberian( rounder face) . However he is classified as a dlh. For NFC bicolor blk is a common color pattern apparently from what I have read. My Sybil was part nfc mix, a calico, see profile pic, she was also very gorgeous, the sweetest cat and a superb athlete. I had several Maine coon owners and one dvm mistake her for a mc.

One way to tell fc ancestry is that they have very long hind legs and can jump like almost no other cats can, they are very athletic. She could jump straight up 4-5 feet like a helicopter, hover over her intended landing pad, the dresser top, look for a landing and then gracefully and silently land. I have never seen another cat come close to her abilities. She could also run up and down trees and play in the snow for hours, she was a snow-goddess and loved being outside, no weather phased her. Nfc have very long guard hairs that make them nearly waterproof, they also shed quite a bit in spring and summer with the heat.

See the collage I made of your boy and pb nfc pics for comparison.

Maine Coon vs Norwegian Forest cat — The Little Carnivore

Maine Coons vs. Norwegian Forest Cats - MaineCoon.org

F6D933EE-6D56-4955-B071-166DEC54CE1B.png

A613C291-6D24-4C77-9A3D-9814F2C495C3.png

Last edited: