Is my cat a hybrid?

peatato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She acts like a dog, and is the most lovable, fun cat I have ever encountered. I get asked about her breed often but I’ve never known. Any ideas?

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful! I would describe your cat as a brown patched tabby and white domestic longhair. You can also describe her color as torbie and white. Most cats are not any particular breed, so we call them domestic longhair or shorthair depending on coat length.

I'm not seeing any indication of wild ancestry in these pictures. Bobcat and lynx species are not known to hybridize with domestic cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She sure is very pretty!!! I am terrible at this, but first off she isn't any particular 'breed' - most cats are not a specific breed. With her tail I would say she is long haired - although the rest of her hair isn't as pronounced. Aside from that, I would call her a caliby - which is essentially a mix of calico and tabby. She has the tabby patterns (including the "M" mark on her forehead) and the tri-color of a calico. She could be a torbie (tortoiseshell-tabby), but maybe too much white for that?

So, now that I have rendered my less than expert opinion - perhaps it will elicit some of our resident experts to chime in! Just couldn't resist in hopes I am close to be being 'right'!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peatato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha thank you so much!! I have never actually heard of a tortoise shell tabby so I’ll have to read more into that. I appreciate your input I think it sounded pretty “expert” haha, I’m glad Miss Mila caught your eye, I’m excited to hear more opinions as well! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peatato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I’m so glad Mila caught your eye! My friend found her out in the woods where we live. So I truly have had no idea since I’ve taken her in. I’ve never been well-spoken when it came to the world of cats, so I really appreciate your input on her breed! :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those (tortoiseshell and tabby) are simply color patterns and mean little else. Cats are mostly just domestic short or long hair. You rarely find a purebred or mixture of breeds.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a pretty girl! At tabby/tortie! I love her expression in that one photo.
Without knowing more about her background it would be hard to tell what is in her ancestry..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I’m so glad Mila caught your eye! My friend found her out in the woods where we live. So I truly have had no idea since I’ve taken her in. I’ve never been well-spoken when it came to the world of cats, so I really appreciate your input on her breed! :)
Her being found in the woods doesnt mean she is a wild cat, even if momma could have been a feral cat. The most probably is, she or her mom, got dumped in the woods... There are "people" for everything, thus, both throwing out their family girl when she got pregnant, or take out the kittens in a box and leave them out. Sometimes so good people may find them, and sometimes leave them to die... :shocked.

Lucky both for her and you, she was found and got a good home. :)

ps. Her being a tortie / torbie isnt very apparent. With a quick glance its easy to miss her creme parts.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has those orange streaks down her leg and on her chest. So a somewhat atypical torbie (usually it's more mottled, not separate streaks like that) but still a torbie. Very pretty! I love her tail. It's so long!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is stunning! How old is she? She's a black/brown patched torbico (torbie/white).