Is my cat a Domestic Short-Hair (DSH)?

Do we think he is a DSH

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

somebodysdaughter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has always per the Vets been classified as a DSH and have seen some forums of people unsure of the same. However, none of the pictures or cats seen (even amongst my friends/family group), has ever compared to the coat of my fur baby. I don't really care of his genealogy, as to me he's perfect regardless but I don't think people understand the abundance of fur my little boy is blessed with nor is able to produce. I breath fur, sleep fur and eat fur; pristine cleanliness is paramount for both of our survivals especially in the summer but he's recently turned 2yrs old and I've never been truly in agreement with his classification of a domestic short hair 🙄. One of the images of his hair is literally from an afternoon of grooming and believe me when I say I could have gone on for hours with no irritation from him, without balding him and with more fur consistently able to be produced. Apologies, he absolutely resents photos😱

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suspect he is long hair, based on his tail appearance. LH cats do come in a variety of fur length, though. Some use the term Medium Hair but in reality it's still a long hair.

On the other hand, short hair cats can be a bit puffy at times but their tails don't usually look like your cats does.

Gorgeous black cat! And maybe a bit of a mystery!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

somebodysdaughter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suspect he is long hair, based on his tail appearance. LH cats do come in a variety of fur length, though. Some use the term Medium Hair but in reality it's still a long hair.

On the other hand, short hair cats can be a bit puffy at times but their tails don't usually look like your cats does.

Gorgeous black cat! And maybe a bit of a mystery!
Aww💕 thank you!

& Soo funny you mention the tail actually, when I first got him, that's all people would talk about. How bushy it was and fluffy. It completely went over my head at the time. Only as he started to develop and I began comparing with other kittens and cats; I realized that quite a few had rather slender tails.

Become quite the cat connoisseur over the years. Still soo much too learn however, aren't they just amazing 🐾

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For sure a domestic long hair. I myself have 3 who are different (at age 1-2 they weren't as fluffy as they are now to). Ceriah has a puffy tail, short mane but longer fur on the body. She's turning 3 and getting poofier. Jethro has a shorter mane but a longer fur on the belly (like a mullet lol), body and wispy tail. Fynn has a massively long mane but shorter fur on the body and his tail is just getting thicker. Now that he's turning 4 his tail is much thicker than a year ago. Longhair cats are pretty cool! Stunning fluffy house panther <3

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh and vets don't know a thing about breeds or fur length. It's worse when they are kittens because they always go through their short fur phase lol.

somebodysdaughter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For sure a domestic long hair. I myself have 3 who are different (at age 1-2 they weren't as fluffy as they are now to). Ceriah has a puffy tail, short mane but longer fur on the body. She's turning 3 and getting poofier. Jethro has a shorter mane but a longer fur on the belly (like a mullet lol), body and wispy tail. Fynn has a massively long mane but shorter fur on the body and his tail is just getting thicker. Now that he's turning 4 his tail is much thicker than a year ago. Longhair cats are pretty cool! Stunning fluffy house panther <3
Ahhh 😩 Firstly Ceriah?? I love that nameeee.

Honestly with all that furr how on earth do you cope 😱 they are worth it though! Everything you said and more regarding the vet and it's bewildering as other than being tinier in size [at the time], he has always presented as a ball of fur with eyes 😅. Till this day they'd swear up and down that he's a DSH. I got to the point that I'd look at he's little vet summary and roll my eyes - if you say so.

Thanks so much for your insight and sharing X yes, he is my little miniature panther 🐾

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww thanks :)

Brushing them with a comb once a day helps a lot. Ceriah has been shedding a ton though but I think it's from food allergies. The boys don't shed too much really which is nice. The food you feed I find tends to matter a lot when it comes to shedding. On raw they barely shed, on wet food they shed but not really a lot. Your boy is just one of those kitties who has a floofy tail and thicker fur body than mane. All longhair cats have shorter fur on the legs which throws some peeps off lol.

somebodysdaughter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww thanks :)

Brushing them with a comb once a day helps a lot. Ceriah has been shedding a ton though but I think it's from food allergies. The boys don't shed too much really which is nice. The food you feed I find tends to matter a lot when it comes to shedding. On raw they barely shed, on wet food they shed but not really a lot. Your boy is just one of those kitties who has a floofy tail and thicker fur body than mane. All longhair cats have shorter fur on the legs which throws some peeps off lol.
Thank you so much for the advice.

I am definitely going to have to keep up better with the combing because though he doesn’t mind I’m perhaps not as proactive with it. As I’m typing this morning I literally woke up choking on cat hair 😩 so I don’t think me and him are going to be friends today as clearly he’s trying to kill me in my sleep and evidently going to need to start sleeping with a mask 😷😭😭 the pain. I promise the house is spotless and scraped EVERYDAY 🥲 Death by furball *sigh*

somebodysdaughter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also I am willing to try anything. Please elaborate on “raw”. Are there any suggestions on really good/undeniably kitty proven products or brands, or any way to ease him in?

My poohbear is super picky with his diet and stringently eats Sheba wet pouches (has to be Sheba 🙄; the amounts of money wasted trying to be adventurous, he will forgo eating altogether 🙃) and Purina One Bifensis biscuits.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has always per the Vets been classified as a DSH and have seen some forums of people unsure of the same. However, none of the pictures or cats seen (even amongst my friends/family group), has ever compared to the coat of my fur baby. I don't really care of his genealogy, as to me he's perfect regardless but I don't think people understand the abundance of fur my little boy is blessed with nor is able to produce. I breath fur, sleep fur and eat fur; pristine cleanliness is paramount for both of our survivals especially in the summer but he's recently turned 2yrs old and I've never been truly in agreement with his classification of a domestic short hair 🙄. One of the images of his hair is literally from an afternoon of grooming and believe me when I say I could have gone on for hours with no irritation from him, without balding him and with more fur consistently able to be produced. Apologies, he absolutely resents photos😱
He is definitely a long haired kitty and a beauty 😻 ask your dvm to change it to dlh. Just not a super floofy longhair. My Zena is pretty floofy, he is still recovering from being dumped outside , 2 years nearly before I could get him inside. So I think he might get floofier. He was super floofy when he first showed up, like a Siberian.

He used to love me brushing him at first but now he hates it when I try to comb him, I am not sure what is going on with that.😿

EFF3471A-F283-4C6F-B06D-893C409BB29A.jpeg

Last edited: