Is my cat a bobcat mix?

Kailsbnks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my kitten last august from a farm 12 hours north of me. She's definitely a peculiar cat & I love her, but have always had the suspicion that she might be mixed with a wildcat because of her features and behaviour. Can anyone tell is she is indeed a mix?
tempImageRPJjyQ.png

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but she does seem to have a torbie coat, her ears are definitely different that is for sure. I love the tips of her ears they are so pointy! 🥰

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw her ears and thought caracal, but can they breed with domestic cats? I thought no, but I seem to be wrong. Maine Coon mix is more likely, but here's an article about "Caracats are a new hybrid. Created in 2007, they’re a cross between caracals (“desert lynxes”) and Abyssinians."

You'll note the one in the article that is pictured has more of an Abyssinian coat, where your cat has more of a tabby coat, which would suggest a Maine Coon back ground. Their ears and size are impressive as well.

If you decide to try a DNA test be sure to pick one that will cover these cats.

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw her ears and thought caracal, but can they breed with domestic cats? I thought no, but I seem to be wrong. Maine Coon mix is more likely, but here's an article about "Caracats are a new hybrid. Created in 2007, they’re a cross between caracals (“desert lynxes”) and Abyssinians."

You'll note the one in the article that is pictured has more of an Abyssinian coat, where your cat has more of a tabby coat, which would suggest a Maine Coon back ground. Their ears and size are impressive as well.

[/URL]

If you decide to try a DNA test be sure to pick one that will cover these cats.
I agree her ears do resemble that of a maine coons.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bobcats aren't interfertile with domestic cats (all supposed bobcat mixes who have been tested show no bobcat DNA), and I really doubt a farm cat would come into contact with any other kind of wildcat. So probably not. She does have a really striking appearance though, she really hit the jackpot in the looks department!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my kitten last august from a farm 12 hours north of me. She's definitely a peculiar cat & I love her, but have always had the suspicion that she might be mixed with a wildcat because of her features and behaviour. Can anyone tell is she is indeed a mix? View attachment 391702
I made a collage of her with some of the cats mentioned for comparison, caracal, caracat, savannah, abyssinian and MC. Her ears are very unusual. I think part of it is she is moving them in what I call the quizzical position but they do look like some of these wild cats and hybrids. As mentioned it is not possible to breed with a bobcat. Most likely she may have some MC. She looks like a torbie or some version of partially ticked tabby to me as well, she is gorgeous😻 Did they mention her background at all?
There is a breed called the pixie bob which claimed to be bred with bobcats but there was no evidence of bobcat dna when tested. See links.

The Mysterious Origin of the Pixie-Bob Cat Breed

Pixie-bob - Wikipedia

Pics below of bobcat and pixiebob.
7E82B121-CA0F-4C96-B14B-61C861A3CA5E.png
3187E626-6907-430B-88E9-BFB270FF3562.jpeg

880B6D79-0E70-41A6-92F8-D4AEFE99A112.jpeg

Last edited:

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just about literally jumped back when I saw her pic LOL!! What a striking and wild looking cat! I would love to see more pics of her :biggrin:

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW! She is what I would imagine a Maine Coon mixed with Savannah would look like! I actually read somewhere where people had done that, but then this type of breeding was discouraged. I never looked at how they turned out, but I would totally believe it if it were the case with Nala! How does she act?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kailsbnks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW! She is what I would imagine a Maine Coon mixed with Savannah would look like! I actually read somewhere where people had done that, but then this type of breeding was discouraged. I never looked at how they turned out, but I would totally believe it if it were the case with Nala! How does she act?
Interesting! I’m quite curious as to what her background is as she spent her kittenhood in northern Alberta. As for her behaviour, she is not the biggest fan of being held. If she wants a cuddle she will come sit next to me, but never likes to be picked up on my terms. She can still be very nippy and aggressive when in a playful mood. I try to redirect this behaviour to her toys, but hasn’t helped much since she was a kitten. I think I’ll have to live with scratched up arms lol 😅

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alberta as in Canada? Cool! Well let's see!

Many Savannahs and Maine Coons are known to NOT be lapcats even if they are affectionate. I've heard many say they prefer to lay next to their people.

Savannahs have very long hind legs and long toes. Many have hooded eyes like the wild Serval they come from or Siamese-ish eyes from the Siamese domestic that Servals are often mixed with to get the Savannah. They have distinct wider noses, often black with pink 'pants' in the middle.

Savannahs pant easily like dogs and they make weird growling noises when protecting something they want like food or a toy.

Both Savannahs and Maine Coons are easy to leash train, but I think Savanahs are even easier. Both are highly intelligent. Savannahs are more active though. Both have large paws but the Savannahs' are narrower.

The body of yours is like a Maine Coon, but something in the face structure and esp the nose reminds me of a Savannah. Her tail seems built like a Savannah but like it was trying to be Maine Coon lol. She also looks like she started to grow a mane but changed her mind :lol:

Whatever she is, she is one fierce cat! :hearthrob::worship: What is her name?!!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my kitten last august from a farm 12 hours north of me. She's definitely a peculiar cat & I love her, but have always had the suspicion that she might be mixed with a wildcat because of her features and behaviour. Can anyone tell is she is indeed a mix? View attachment 391702
What a BEAUTIFUL cat!!! Wow! I cannot help but look at this picture for a loonnggg time. Those ears are to die for!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kailsbnks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alberta as in Canada? Cool! Well let's see!

Many Savannahs and Maine Coons are known to NOT be lapcats even if they are affectionate. I've heard many say they prefer to lay next to their people.

Savannahs have very long hind legs and long toes. Many have hooded eyes like the wild Serval they come from or Siamese-ish eyes from the Siamese domestic that Servals are often mixed with to get the Savannah. They have distinct wider noses, often black with pink 'pants' in the middle.

Savannahs pant easily like dogs and they make weird growling noises when protecting something they want like food or a toy.

Both Savannahs and Maine Coons are easy to leash train, but I think Savanahs are even easier. Both are highly intelligent. Savannahs are more active though. Both have large paws but the Savannahs' are narrower.

The body of yours is like a Maine Coon, but something in the face structure and esp the nose reminds me of a Savannah. Her tail seems built like a Savannah but like it was trying to be Maine Coon lol. She also looks like she started to grow a mane but changed her mind :lol:

Whatever she is, she is one fierce cat! :hearthrob::worship: What is her name?!!
Yes Alberta, Canada! :)
I think I might have to get this lil lady a DNA test because I'm super curious to what she has in her. Thanks for the observations, that's very interesting.
Her name is Stella, AKA Stellone, AKA Beef (when she has an attitude) lol

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG! Someone on another FB page for Savannahs just posted about Serval / Maine Coon mix for Savannahs! She She said she used to have one and she posted one pic! I am going to ask her to post more, but the one that she posted has a head and face very much like Stella's! She said that her Savannah was an F2 with a Serval/Maine Coon bloodline!

Ok! She had added another pic. I can def see Stella being this kind of mix, but not necessarily an F2, but maybe a later generation of Savannah like F3, F4 or F5. It is possible that a Savannah stud got loose (happens) and mated with a Maine Coon or other cat that eventually mated with a Maine Coon to get Stella. :D

Last edited: