Is My Boy Losing His Ever Loving Fuzzy Mind?

Ravenwolfie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two felines. Zatanna, female and the sweetest calmest cat on earth...and Samhain our mommies boy who seems to be losing his marbles.

We have had them for 3 years. This all started slowly when we moved from North Dakota to Washington 2 years ago. Before the move, Samhain loved both of us, though was always more fond of me. However, since the move, he has gotten more and more bizarre towards my husband. Some days he loves him and is totally fine, laying by him tummy up (his favorite position.) and giving kisses. But more and more frequently he becomes suddenly violent towards him. Pat (My husband) is never doing anything to him, he is just on his computer or softly talking to him, trying to get back on his random good side. We can never tell from one day to the next which version of Samhain we are going to get. Luckily he still is nice to me, cuddles and never so much as a scratch. However, more and more days are days where he is seemingly unthrilled with my hubbies existence. He has also started yowling at our front door, and one of our upper cabinet doors for apparently no reason. He has always been on the talkative side, but this is just odd.

Any ideas?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was laughing at the title of the question ... though reading your question kinda kills the laughter. My first thought is: is he in pain? Followed by is he an over stimulation or crazy nerve firing cat? Though they usually show that behavior from kitten hood/teen years. I would have a vet check him out just to make sure. If everything looks fine (no injuries, arthritis, etc.) then I would start looking for behavior.
Since it seems like he gets along with your other cat, that would point more to outside cats. That or your husband smells like a dog or cat that is not part of your household? When I was married our cats kinda divided us, each taking a person to be their favorite human. However again you would think that would have showed from the start. Maybe someone else has an idea on what is setting your cat off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravenwolfie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both cats are indoor cats. Samhain mainly gets along with Zatanna, except when he's bored and wants to play and she doesn't. She generally looks like an annoyed older sister, but only rarely "put's him in his place." Generally, they cuddle and bathe each other and life is good. It's really only Pat that this is happening to. I can apparently do no wrong, Zatanna he mostly gets along with..and Pat...well two days ago they were buddy buddy, but yesterday a flip was switched and he was still sweet to Zatanna and I, but a fuzzy little jerk to Pat. Today it was even worse as he jumped up and attacked him three times. Twice unexpectedly, and once he sat quietly in front of him and stared directly at him. Pat talked quietly to him and didn't try to pet him, just slowly put his hand out near him. Samhain attacked. Sometimes I think he is just trying to play with Pat, but he genuinely sounds upset. Anyone ever have a cat that will just stare, look you in the eyes, and then suddenly attack? It's the strangest thing I have ever seen cat wise. Also, Pat doesn't come into contact with any other animals, so there's nothing for the furkid to smell and freak out about. While he doesn't act sick or in pain, fur is shiny, food is eaten, no limps or accessive licking anywhere, I am thinking about bringing him to the vet, but if it's just psychological, all I can see that doing is stressing him out further and maybe earning him a feline dose of Prozac. Oddly after I posted this Samhain napped on Pat's legs, but got upset when he tried to pet him. He had no problem with me petting him however, so I doubt its pain related.

Thanks for the response it's appreciated. :)

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a personality conflict. Does he like treats? Who feeds the cats? Have Pat take an active role in the feeding routine, try getting a wand toy and have Pat play with him. They need to re-bond but a vet visit would rule out health issues.

Ravenwolfie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup, started having Pat give him their daily wet meal as that's their favorite, it somewhat helps on some days and has no effect at all on others. Samhain loves playing fetch with a straw, and we both play that with him as well as Mouse in the blankets (acting like your hand is a mouse under the blanket and letting him try to catch and pounce it.) which he also loves. He always goes for the straw regardless of who throws it, but he will only rarely chase the "mouse" if Pat does it. Considering before the move all was fine, we wonder if he somehow associated only Pat with the stress of the move, but would that keep getting worse two years later?

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has Pat changed any thing? New colonge? New soap or anything? His scent may have changed and thats putting off the cat. Long shot but it's possible that that could do it, but then I had a cat that loved me until he turned 2 then he didn't even want me to touch him. He fell in love with my friend Talia and I gave him to her, he's way happier now so maybe it's the cat that changed?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought he might have arthritis & your husband might be man handling him a bit *shrugs* that was why I suggested a vet visit just in case. First he could try training your cat to attack toys, not people..... he might be playing to rough with your husband. If that isn't the case then your husband being the main food provider, treat giver and primary play partner should have them bonding in no time.

Ravenwolfie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has Pat changed any thing? New colonge? New soap or anything? His scent may have changed and thats putting off the cat. Long shot but it's possible that that could do it, but then I had a cat that loved me until he turned 2 then he didn't even want me to touch him. He fell in love with my friend Talia and I gave him to her, he's way happier now so maybe it's the cat that changed?
Nope, I generally do the shopping and nothing has changed. Could be he decided for some reason to dislike Pat off and on, but I hope not as he loves me to death and is my "baby boy" so he isn't going anywhere lol.

Ravenwolfie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought he might have arthritis & your husband might be man handling him a bit *shrugs* that was why I suggested a vet visit just in case. First he could try training your cat to attack toys, not people..... he might be playing to rough with your husband. If that isn't the case then your husband being the main food provider, treat giver and primary play partner should have them bonding in no time.
He is only 3 so I doubt it's arthritis. We never play with him bare handed, the rare events Samhain does get my hand he immediately stops and gives me kisses. He has never done that with Pat however, though he has been careful not to break skin until fairly recently, and that isn't while playing, it's the random hostile events that prompted this post. I am hoping him giving the canned most days will help, as I said so far, it helps off and on, but not always. I have a feeling I may never find out exactly what prompted this change.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has to look to Pat for food/treats/playtime he should warm up to him fairly quickly. Off hand I would say for 3 months just to make sure it sticks. Though I would look into any extra scents he might be getting on himself.