Is my baby having a baby!?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s purring a lot now (she NEVER purrs)

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s constantly meowing again and wandering around. If I didn’t know she was pregnant I would assume she was in heat, it’s very similar behaviour

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats frequently purr non-stop through labor. The first stage lasts about 24 hours and gets more intense. She may be telling you she’s in labor!

Lam_ashley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh how exciting!! I’m so glad I’m in this thread so I can know what to look for when mine goes into labor!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably her first litter, she's having funny feelings, and she doesn't know what's going on! At least humans can read up on what to expect when they're expecting ;). But kitties just have to go on instinct, and that won't kick in until she's in labor. For now she's just confused, poor girl, no wonder she's meowing about it.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She won’t let me leave my room, she runs after me and meows at me until I go back in the room. She’s still purring away and hiding under my bed, I’ll update if anything changes tomorrow:)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she’s laboring to me. Stay with her. Could be a long night, but she clearly needs you for support. Give her a dish of kitten formula if she’ll drink it. It will help her strength.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I woke up this morning and she followed me downstairs so tried giving her food because she normally cries for food as soon as I wake up but she smelled it and didn’t eat anything. She’s walking around just meowing and purring. I was reading this “first stage” could last 36 hours, I hope that’s not the case for her!:(

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did she ever groom herself before she started laboring?
She actually stopped grooming herself for the past week or so, she’s gotten really lazy about it so I’ve had to do it for her! But I’ve heard most cats will groom more than usual at the end.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, neither of those. I guess this could go on for a while. She still hiding under my bed, purring and meowing at the same time lol i don’t know how to explain it but she made the same sound when she was in heat. She really wants in my bedroom closet, I will clean it out for her today and make a little bed in there. Still hasnt ate anything but I seen her grooming herself finally. She licked her stomach and her genital area. I will update if anything changes..I hope it doesn’t last too long, shes day 66 now.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, she hasn’t shown any signs of active labour yet👎

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s just hanging out purring and meowing away. She sleeps for 15 minutes and then she’s up meowing again. It’s really sad to see her just hiding rather than being downstairs on the couch or in her tree, hopefully doesnt last too long!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Set a vet appointment for her for Friday. That will be 68 days. If things change you can always cancel, but I hate for you to be stuck on the weekend with a problem with your cat’s labor. If she’s the same on Friday I think she needs a vet check.

Sounds like she really wants in that closet. That’s where my cat’s nest was and where she stayed with her kittens for 3 weeks. :lovecat2:

Sar27 Sar27

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah that makes sense, I’ll call her vet and make the appointment now. So while I was clearing out the closet she sat in the back watching me and when almost everything was out she ran out and under the bed again and now she wants nothing to do with the closet anymore. It’s like she wanted to be in the back hiding behind the boxes and clothes and now that they’re gone she’s not happy with it.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s got an apt for 1040am Friday if she doesn’t have the babies by then 👍

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you’ve made an appointment. She may need a scan.

I hope she still has the closet as an option. You can even put her nest behind a box or two for now if that’s what she wants. Cats generally only go to the nest when it is time to deliver.