Is my baby having a baby!?

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, new to the cat site. I have three beautiful cats, all girls. My first two I had spayed right away but unfortunately with covid and the financial struggles that came with it I have not been able to spay my newest addition. She is just over a year old. She ran out of the house while we were leaving about 4 weeks ago and when we got home a few hours later I found her under a tree with an intact male cat, doing the dirty! This cat was much larger than she is (she is very petite). I’m just wondering what the chances are that she may be pregnant?? She has had a large appetite the last few weeks, she got sick one morning (which was the first time ever), and she has been extremely affectionate. She has not gotten any bigger in her stomach though which makes me think we might be in the clear, seeing how she would be 4 weeks pregnant at this point. I’ve inserted a picture of her nipples, I’m not sure what they looked like before so Id like to know if they look normal or if they are pinker than normal. Sorry for the long post, any opinions would be helpful, thanks.
0D4BEBFF-9427-4044-B1A3-DFBB1FACBC84.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can rest assured that she is very likely pregnant, especially since you caught her in the act of mating with a tom. Prepare for kittens, the cost of feeding them, and the cost of fixing and rehoming them. Cats begin to “show” around week 5, so you should begin to see her belly growing soon. Keep us posted.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chances of her NOT being pregnant after obvious breeding are very slim, unless she has a disorder that causes infertility. She may have only one or two kittens though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh okay, makes sense! The only reason I thought she might not be is because this male cat was much larger than she was and when I caught them in the act he looked like he was having some trouble mounting her. I obviously shooed him away as soon as I seen it but I’m not sure how long they were together before finding them. I guess we’ll find out if it was a “successful” mating in about a week.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I went back and figured out the exact day she got out... it is 5 weeks tomorrow and so far she has not gained a larger belly so I think we may have dodged a bullet!! Phew! 🤞 I’ll attach some photos that I took today of her size and nipples. What do y’all think!?

Attachments

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed her nipples look pinker in those photos than in real life because I had the flash on... so he’s some more. They look perfectly normal to me! 😸 I will get her spayed asap so this close call doesn’t happen again! As far as her not being in heat since the mating, I’m ganna assume that it is because it is winter now.

Attachments

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, it happened again😓 please don’t come for me about not having her spayed yet, my husband was laid off in February. Anyways, she ran out March 8 and when I found her she was with the same cat as last time but this time I think the cat was neutered. I tried getting them but they would run and hiss at me anytime I got close. They were together for about 2 hours until I finally could get close enough to catch her. As u guys know, she did not get pregnant the last time so I’m hoping she is not pregnant this time but to me her nipples look a bit pinker than before. Any feedback on the pictures of them would be great, thank you.

Attachments

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has not been in heat since March 6 but I’m hoping she is just having another phantom pregnancy. Because, like I said before... I am pretty sure the male was neutered (from what I could see). But they were mating so it could have triggered her to ovulate. Idk, I’m not an expert though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you looked into your local low-cost spay and neuter clinics to see about cost and a date for a spay? Some clinics offer financial aid vouchers.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I have, I got denied:(

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But, about the question I asked in the post... any thoughts? What does it look like? I have no idea what to look for..

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would a neutered male even attempt to mate with a female? What if he wasn’t neutered and she is pregnant? Should I get her on kitten food? Sorry, I just want to do what’s right for her and the kittens (if there are any)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would a neutered male even attempt to mate with a female? What if he wasn’t neutered and she is pregnant? Should I get her on kitten food? Sorry, I just want to do what’s right for her and the kittens (if there are any)
Neuters may often try to mount, esp if they were neutered as adults, they often remember how it was done.
A) IF he was freshy neutered, say a week, he could get her preg...
B) False preg comes more often from such an empty mounting than otherwise...

C) if you want to play it safe, yes, be sure the has nutrious food. Even if she will get fatty if not preg for real. But that cant be helped....

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They said it was to due to the high volume of applications and reduced service (I assume because of Covid). And yes I did look into the local “cheaper” spay/neuter clinic as well and the wait list was going into summer so I didn’t bother to fill out an application because I was planning to have her spayed long before that.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I came home from school today and noticed there was diarrhea in the litter box and then I realized it was her because she had some of it on her furr. I’m worried because I don’t think she’s ever had diarrhea before??

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I’ve been out looking for this cat that I found her with to see if I can see where he lives to ask the owners if he is neutered but haven’t had any luck yet. I will keep u all updated as the days go on!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggest that you go ahead and reserve a summer spay appointment. If she is pregnant, there’s plenty of time for her to have and wean her litter beforehand. If not, it’s up to you to keep her in and safe until then. Either way, you have an appointment. In the meantime, we’ll know soon enough if she’s pregnant, but at least you’ll have a spay date set up regardless.

It’s difficult to know what may have caused her bout of diarrhea.