Is my baby having a baby!?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If both parents are longhair, all kittens will be longhair :)
Yes, BUT, she went outside so it could have been any male that got to her. It wasn't necessarily the male she was seen with.

It's nearly impossible to tell fur length at this age, tell your cousin to wait a few more weeks to decide :D (of course the kittens shouldn't leave mama until 12-14 weeks so there's plenty of time).

I love the little moustache guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again! Just a quick question for you guys:) we’ve noticed lately that mr moustache man has developed white roots in his fur, it’s quite noticeable on his body when he’s walking around. Is this considered a “smoke coat” or is that only when the cat is one solid colour? Either way, it looks neat! Thanks you!

Attachments

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, when can I start giving the kittens soft food?? Millies going through hell trying to nurse them. They dig into her with their sharp claws and she cries and runs away from them and goes and hides. They will dig like they are trying to dig a hole into her stomach. Does she not have enough milk for them?? She’s gotten soooo skinny since giving birth, even though she is eating twice as much. They have their front and canine teeth now so can I start giving them food at 4 weeks?? I just feel bad for Millie having to go through that. The kittens weights are 410, 430 and 480.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, trim the tips of the kittens’ nails and keep them trimmed. Secondly, put coconut oil all over mama cat’s belly to soothe and protect. And yes, by all means, begin offering a mush of soft, pate-style wet food mixed with KMR on a flat plate for the kittens who are ready to eat. Chicken is better than fish for kitten tummies. :lovecat2:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - a month already! Yes, they are ready to begin eating. You can also let them try lapping some warm kmr or goat milk out of a shallow lid. I use jar lids that are not as likely to be stepped in. I put all the dishes on puppy pads as kittens tend to walk in their food.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, sorry I worded it wrong. They are not 4 weeks old yet, they will be four weeks this Thursday. I was just wondering if that’s when I should be starting to feed them food, or can I feed them now if I mix it with KMR?

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, long time no talk! The babies are 5 weeks old now! Just a few updates/questions:) My cousin still wants a kitten but I still can’t tell what their fur length will be, sometimes I think short and others med/long.. what do u guys think?? I posted multiple pics to get all angles of cuteness 😻. Also, two of them have finally started eating kitten pate but one refuses to, she just spits it out. Should I be concerned?? One more thing, they won’t litter train. They all just try to eat the litter so I took it away, I try every day but they do the same thing. Is this normal?? I think they’ve started just going on their blankets😳

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cuties! :lovecat2:

Kittens wean more easily to soft foods between 6-8 weeks, so no worries! They will all be eating soon.

They are young for litter training and will catch on to this soon too. Here’s a helpful video:

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! The babies are 7 weeks now, two of them are eating food but the little girl still doesn’t want it. She almost seems scared of it, she runs away any time She smells the food. Anyways, she threw up a bunch of toilet paper about an hour ago. Why is she eating toilet paper but not the cat food? I assume she’s hungry if she’s doing that? I’m worried she’s going to have a blockage if she didn’t get it all out🥺

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Can you block her access to toilet paper? This is not healthy.

Have you tried feeding her alone, or putting food on your finger for her to lick? She may just need another week, but she cannot eat toilet paper.

Sar27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I don’t think it was toilet paper after all. She threw up again so this time I looked through it, it looks more like curdled milk. I was kind of wondering how she would have got toilet paper as she doesn’t go in the bathroom… she’s sleeping now. Should I take her to the vet or monitor her for now and take her if she continues vomiting or becomes lethargic??

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The TP should bust up and pass through easily, but definitely it's not cat food. She's wanting to eat, I think, and the TP was just an experiment on her part. You're going to need to get her to explore other potential foods.

Have you tried pureed all-meat unseasoned baby food? I never had to use it on a kitten, but others recommend it. Beech-Nut and Gerber both have such a product. You might also try a kitty "smoothie," by putting some KMR and soft food in a blender. I've even used sloppy Cream of Wheat in a pinch to get a little one started eating.

A saucer seems to work better than a dish for kittens, too.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A checkup is a good idea because as they wean, they are most vulnerable to viruses; they get antibodies from their mother's milk. Is the little one playing like normal or is she sleeping more than usual? Keeping her hydrated with 50/50 unflavored Pedialyte/water is good maintenance anytime there is an episode of vomiting or diarrhea. Thank you for keeping us updated! 👍💐😍