Is my Aggie preggers?

AggiePreggie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, hoping for your thoughts on whether or not my girl Aggie is pinking up? I saw her frolick with two neighbourhood tomcats 4 weeks ago, but have no way of knowing if they were intact. She hasn't been in heat since, which makes me hopeful, but I had expected to see more of a change in her nipples. Sorry I couldn't take much better photos. Aggie is not into tummy-touching at all. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's unspayed and has been outdoors unsupervised, yes, chances are almost 100% that she's found an intact tom, even if the 2 you saw here with were neutered. It's best to assume she is pregnant and start feeding her kitten food so the babies have the best start.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome! It's possible she is. Are you letting her out to spend time with the local toms so she will get pregnant? If so, that's very dangerous. She could be hurt badly or worse. Mating is not pleasant for the queen at all. It can be very violent. Many times a tom will bite her to keep her still. She likely will "spend time" with multiple toms.

I would take her to the vet, have her checked to see if she is and have her spayed if she is not. They can do a spay/abort if she is pregnant but not far along but some people have strong feelings about that so I won't advise one way or the other about it.

If you want her to be pregnant just to experience the birth of kittens, you can always foster a cat who is pregnant if it turns out that your girl is not. We're going into kitten season and that means that shelters and rescues are going to bursting at the seams with unwanted kittens and pregnant queens. If you just want to raise a kitten, please consider adoption.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are you hoping for your cat to have kittens? There are plenty of cats (and kittens, especially now, given its kitten season) in shelters struggling to find homes. How old is she? Pregnancy is tough on an animal, especially a young one — is she at least a year old? Do you have the finances for an emergency C-section, should she need one?
Letting her mate with stray tomcats heightens the risk of her catching an STI/STD or a viral infection, like FeLV or FIV, as well.
There’s a good chance she’s pregnant, but as she’s so early on, I’d urge you to book a spay appointment — it’s low risk in early and midterm pregnancy. If you’re completely against the idea, wait until after her litter to spay her, if she’s not, I’d strongly advise getting it done now. There are plenty of low-cost clinics around if price is an issue, and neutering is loads cheaper than taking care of a pregnant and lactating queen.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here’s an article you may find helpful: How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant? – TheCatSite Articles

But, as my fellow posters already expertly pointed out, if she had the opportunity to come into contact with a male cat, she is most likely pregnant. I also agree that you may consider a spay/abort. At this stage in the pregnancy, it won’t be much different than a regular spay. And pregnancy and birth both carry risks for the mother cat- for an idea of what could go wrong, please check out this article: How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks – TheCatSite Articles

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a pro-spay and neuter site, but if you’ve decided to let your cat bear kittens we are here to support your questions throughout the process.

I also agree that your cat is likely pregnant. Pregnancy lasts 62-68 days on average, and we’ve got a great series of articles about pregnant cats and kittens to help guide you. The articles are at the top of this forum.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AggiePreggie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the insights! I will definitely have Aggie spayed if she turns out not to be pregnant, worry not. But I would welcome a litter if she's pregnant now. I will keep you posted.