Is my 5 month kitten long or short hair?

Moemah123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

When I adopted my kitten, she had signs of being DLH she was very fluffy. Over the last 2 months, I noticed her becoming longer, but slimmer and her hair didn't grow , notice first 3 pictures vs last. She seems to be getting shorter hair as time goes. Her brother seems to have much fluffier tail and coat and is same age as her. I am having trouble determining if I am doing something wrong in her diet or some kittens become short hair from long hair start as kittens.

Attached some pictures for reference.

Appreciate your input

Attachments

SafariDoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

When I adopted my kitten, she had signs of being DLH she was very fluffy. Over the last 2 months, I noticed her becoming longer, but slimmer and her hair didn't grow , notice first 3 pictures vs last. She seems to be getting shorter hair as time goes. Her brother seems to have much fluffier tail and coat and is same age as her. I am having trouble determining if I am doing something wrong in her diet or some kittens become short hair from long hair start as kittens.

Appreciate your input
I can't "see" if your kitten has any signs of ear tufts or toe tufts in the photos - does she have tufts? Just wondering.

In these photos, your kitten appears "medium-haired" to me. She seems to have fluffier and longer hair around her tail and neck and the hair on her back appears to be medium-length hair.

Medium-haired cats come from mixed ancestry - so their appearances can vary, even between siblings.

Your kitten is gorgeous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moemah123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she does have toe tufts same size as her brother but there is a difference in size and hair between them. She used to have much more hair than he did but now it reversed. And I thought I did something wrong with the diet.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd consider her long hair.
Cats are only short or long haired though long can vary widely. People use medium hair but technically there is no such designation.
Keep in mind kittens coats can change a lot, so you probably won't know for sure until she's about a year or so old but based on her tail I'm going with long hair (or medium, if you prefer)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Appreciate your input
She 😻 is a beauty. Maybe she is what some call medium hair, She could have the gene for long hair but she is not going to have really long hair in other words. there are some breeds and domestic cats that have longer hair on their tails while the body is shorter, there is a wide variation between different types of lh cats some have super fluffy and some what we called medium, some have longer hair on the tails and not as long on the body etc. She really does look a lot fluffier is a kitten though so I’m surprised. I have never heard of anything that you can do to help the hair grow longer specifically though. Other than a healthy diet and maybe some extra supplements. Ask dvm.

Some long-haired cats take up to two years to get their full floof.

I have just taken in one of my outdoor guys Zena, he was super fluffy when he showed up here- I could not get him inside, he’s been out for almost two years at one point he was losing fur and now his fur is a bit shorter but I’m hoping as he heals from everything that happened to him and that he’s going to get his super floof back. He’s also not grooming himself completely yet but he already looks a lot better from when he was actually losing patches of fur outside a few months ago. He is about 2- 2.5 yrs. Here is a pic 😻

6C8B54C9-E853-4004-BFBA-4744EFD377B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks long to me, she's absolutely beautiful. It could just be that her coat will be a bit shorter than her brother's but I'm definitely going with long. My bridge boy was a floof as a kitten then we thought maybe not long, he ended up a floof ball.The second picture is when we were not sure he looks alot less floofy
20170925_125616.jpg
20171119_095726.jpg
IMG_20210626_164527.jpg

Last edited:

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Moemah123 Moemah123
I agree with everyone, she is long haired but probably going through the young stage where they sometimes look shorter haired.
I adopted my fluffy boy from a shelter about a year old, he had a fluffy tail but his body fur looked shorter. It has since grown.
Also molting can effect the look at various times.