Is my 14 week old kitten bloated?

CorynM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I adopted a kitten about two and a half weeks ago and over the past few days, have noticed that he’s been passing some pretty noticeable gas, smell wise. Not super frequent, about three times in the last four days, but he’s never done it before. I can’t tell if he’s bloated or not, but I know for sure that he’s been de-wormed, with hisast treatment having been two days before I adopted him.
He’s very energetic, ran around quite a bit yesterday and early today. Tonight though, he’s just been sleeping and laying around. A bit out of character for him. As far as I can tell he’s using the bathroom normally, and hasn’t thrown up at all.
His belly isn’t hard to the touch, and he doesn’t mind me touching it.
Is this something I should worry about? He has a vet appointment in two weeks for just a checkup - should I move it up? I have no idea if I’m overreacting or not - super paranoid (I lost my previous cat to a dog attack recently, so I’m admittedly freaking out about this one’s health and making sure he’s good)

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
CorynM CorynM , welcome to TCS! :)

Have there been any changes to his diet? That can create the gas issue.
To be honest that looks like 'cute kitten belly' to me :) I would keep an eye on him, but if he's behaving OK, eating and pooing well and his belly is soft, it doesn't sound like there's an issue.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. That is just awful and bound to make you feel protective. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CorynM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
CorynM CorynM , welcome to TCS! :)

Have there been any changes to his diet? That can create the gas issue.
To be honest that looks like 'cute kitten belly' to me :) I would keep an eye on him, but if he's behaving OK, eating and pooing well and his belly is soft, it doesn't sound like there's an issue.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. That is just awful and bound to make you feel protective. :hugs:
He was switched from Science Diet dry food to Iams Kitten dry food. Maybe that’s it?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I reckon that could have made him a bit gassy, yes :biggrin:
He might like to try a bit of wet kitten food as well.
Just keep an eye on him, and try not to fret.
He's a gorgeous boy. :redheartpump:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree! Kitten belly is normal as kittens eat a lot then grow, but switching foods may definitely be the issue.

Try watering down the dry food a bit, and as suggested, try wet kitten food, preferably chicken not fish. Kittens really need wet food to grow on.

Do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CorynM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree! Kitten belly is normal as kittens eat a lot then grow, but switching foods may definitely be the issue.

Try watering down the dry food a bit, and as suggested, try wet kitten food, preferably chicken not fish. Kittens really need wet food to grow on.

Do keep us posted!
I give him both wet food and dry food! The wet is the same that he’s always eaten, so only the dry has changed. I agree that switching is probably what’s causing the issue - I’ll keep an eye!!