Is Miralax Supposed To Work In A Few Days?

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone, my 17 year old Maine Coon boy has recently been switched over to eating only canned and raw food (Rad Cat) with extra water mixed in. Since the switch, he's been having trouble with constipation and has already been to the vet for 2 enemas and had a lot of poop built up. The vet recommended Miralax in his meals every day, which he began on Friday 6/30/2017. For breakfast and dinner, his only meals, he was prescribed 1/4 teaspoon. After a day without any pooping, the vet decided to up the dose to 1/2 teaspoon instead. Now we're on the third day and still nothing. He will likely need to go back to the vet for another enema tomorrow if he doesn't poop before then.

Does anyone have experience with Miralax? How long does it take before your baby is supposed to poop? I'm so worried.:bawling:

Much love.
Stephanie

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you dissolving the Miralax in a little water before adding it to the food? Dry Miralax powder will draw too much water into the digestive tract which can lead to a dehydrated cat and add to the constipation. Give dissolving the Miralax a try if you're not already doing so. Some vets aren't aware that Miralax is supposed to be dissolved in water before ingesting. The instructions for Humans on the package says to fully dissolve X amount into a full glass of water, not sprinkle over a yummy steak;) Miralax works the same way for all bodies, even animals, so the instructions wouldn't be any different. A few people may disagree and give dry Miralax and it still works for the cat.

Are you giving the Miralax just once a day or twice a day?

Miralax works within a day or two. It may not work for all cats, though. Ask the vet about also adding in fiber to help things move along. Canned pumpkin (just 100% pumpkin, not the pie filling stuff) works for many cats if you don't want to feed high fiber prescription food.

I don't think the Rad Cat has too much calcium in it which would cause constipation :think: You may want to ask on the Raw forum here on TCS about that.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley had an enema on Friday after not going for 4 days. He had a small movement on Friday, but i think it was the last effect of the enema. He did not go on Sunday, but just pooped early this morning. He's been on Miralax since Friday evening so I guess it took him a little over 2 days. He takes it with dry food in the morning. My vet was very surprised that he would even touch the dry food with Miralax powder just mixed with it, but he does. He won't eat wet food in the morning, God knows why?? I assume it's because he is more nauseous in the AM. He does take it with wet food in the evening, with a few drops of water mixed with it. He does not like soupy food. He drinks and pees the same as before so as far as I know, he is not dehydrated. It's a struggle to get him to eat, and I do not want to force it in him with a syringe unless I really have to. As long as this works, that's how I'll do it. If I see any dehydration, I'll figure aomething out. Good luck with your kitty! Constipation is very frustrating!!

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miralax draws extra water into the bowel causing a softer stool and a movement. It does not work instantly like stimulants or enemas. With that being said, make sure your cat is getting enough water with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you dissolving the Miralax in a little water before adding it to the food? Dry Miralax powder will draw too much water into the digestive tract which can lead to a dehydrated cat and add to the constipation. Give dissolving the Miralax a try if you're not already doing so. Some vets aren't aware that Miralax is supposed to be dissolved in water before ingesting. The instructions for Humans on the package says to fully dissolve X amount into a full glass of water, not sprinkle over a yummy steak;) Miralax works the same way for all bodies, even animals, so the instructions wouldn't be any different. A few people may disagree and give dry Miralax and it still works for the cat.

Are you giving the Miralax just once a day or twice a day?

Miralax works within a day or two. It may not work for all cats, though. Ask the vet about also adding in fiber to help things move along. Canned pumpkin (just 100% pumpkin, not the pie filling stuff) works for many cats if you don't want to feed high fiber prescription food.

I don't think the Rad Cat has too much calcium in it which would cause constipation :think: You may want to ask on the Raw forum here on TCS about that.
I added the Miralax to his wet food and mixed it up, then added more water because he seems to prefer it soupy. I'll try adding it to water first. Thank you! The Miralax is given twice a day, back to 1/4 teaspoon each time per the vet's suggestion.

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Huxley had an enema on Friday after not going for 4 days. He had a small movement on Friday, but i think it was the last effect of the enema. He did not go on Sunday, but just pooped early this morning. He's been on Miralax since Friday evening so I guess it took him a little over 2 days. He takes it with dry food in the morning. My vet was very surprised that he would even touch the dry food with Miralax powder just mixed with it, but he does. He won't eat wet food in the morning, God knows why?? I assume it's because he is more nauseous in the AM. He does take it with wet food in the evening, with a few drops of water mixed with it. He does not like soupy food. He drinks and pees the same as before so as far as I know, he is not dehydrated. It's a struggle to get him to eat, and I do not want to force it in him with a syringe unless I really have to. As long as this works, that's how I'll do it. If I see any dehydration, I'll figure aomething out. Good luck with your kitty! Constipation is very frustrating!!
Poor Huxley! I hope he gets regular and eats regularly soon too!:redheartpump::hearthrob:

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Miralax draws extra water into the bowel causing a softer stool and a movement. It does not work instantly like stimulants or enemas. With that being said, make sure your cat is getting enough water with it.
I add water to his meals to make them soupy as he seems to like it that way. He also drinks water throughout the day too. He seems to be well hydrated. Thank you!:hugs: