Is Mimi a "flame point siamese"?

Juliamem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20200714_114918.jpg
20201013_183816.jpg

I got her as a kitten 3 years ago. She was pure white with orange on her paws, head and tail. Now she's mostly orange. Blue eyes. I want to know if she is considered a "flame point siamese"

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think she is. Seems like an DSH orange tabby to me.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe Mimi as a red point domestic shorthair. Red point is also known as flame point. It's a pretty color! Pointed coloring tends to darken with age, especially if a cat is exposed to cold temperatures, so it's not surprising that she had a much lighter body color as a kitten and she has darkened as she has matured.

Color and breed are different things... just because a cat is pointed doesn't make it a Siamese. Most cats are not any particular breed, and also aren't "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs. That doesn't make them any less special, however. Domestic shorthairs are great cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juliamem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will know for sure in a couple of weeks! I bought the DNA test kit made by basepaws.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will know for sure in a couple of weeks! I bought the DNA test kit made by basepaws.
Actually, Basepaws' test result doesn't give a definite answer "for sure" about your cat's breed. Basepaws designed their test to return a bunch of different breed matches for every cat, but this doesn't mean these breeds are actually in your cat's ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs.

Here's some information about cat ancestry tests from another recent post:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cat is a ginger classic dsh, some do have blue eyes. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cat is a ginger classic dsh, some do have blue eyes. :)
It looks like a pointed cat to me. Look, for example, at the difference in color between top of the head and base of the ears... I circled this area in green. A red (or cream) tabby would be dark on the top of the head.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.49.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 3.51.27 PM.png

I know the cat seems to have a lot of body color for a pointed cat, but it's normal for some pointed cats to darken up a lot on the body as they mature... the OP says the cat had a "pure white" body as a kitten.